20" Cinema Display

Options
I need a screen for my mac mini i've had since xmas..

Anyone got the Apple 20" cinema display? If so, what do you think? Is it good?

Apple Store price: £549..... Apple Education/Student price: £455...

Thats nearly 18% off!

Is it worth it?

Comments

• xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    The 20" Cinema Display is the same panel as the Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen TFT display. In addition to the DVI (?) input on the Apple monitor, the Dell also has VGA, S-Video and Composite (with picture in picture), a USB hub and the facility to add soundbar speakers.

I have the Dell connected to my Mac Mini by DVI and a Windows PC by VGA (a couple of button presses to switch input). I have the soundbar speakers and I have a video feed from my entertainment system so I can watch Sky or a DVD in the corner of the screen whilst working (as I have my back to the main TV).

The Dell also works out cheaper (usually £300-350).
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey, what do you think of your Dell screen....?

Actually... only the 2007WFP 20" is available on the dell site... and its £438... so almost the same as the apple....
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    The Dell screens are great. A few of the designers have them here (us techies should be getting them soon too!). They always get very good reviews.

I think if you're going for a 20" screen the Dell 2007WFP is certainly one of the best. The only problem with Dell is that they switch components about frequently, so a Dell TFT that gets a great review, may be slightly different than the one you've bought (despite the same model number).

I'm considering a 20" screen for myself. Ones to look at are:

- Belinea 10 20 35W (Good price to quality ratio)
    - Samsung SyncMaster 215TW
    - ViewSonic VP2030b (Pricey though)

If I do upgrade, I'll probably end up going for the Belinea at around £300 as the others are out of my price range.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm, except the dell doesnt quite look as good as the apple :D
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    Personally if I were going some of the way with the Apple screen, then I would get one of the larger ones which have HD resolutions. Personally, I was sold on the Dell because of the multiple inputs. The stand is very sturdy and the monitor is fully adjustable on the stand (even rotates).

Don't know how this compares to the Apple screen as I haven't used one but the picture quality from the Dell is great - clear, sharp, bright vivid colours - much better than the Samsung 19" widescreen that I was using before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure