windows media player and itunes

Options
hi

how can i get the music that is saved in media player onto my ipod.
i've tried copying it to drive e when my ipod is plugged in, but nothing happens.

any advice welcome.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself.

wins - peroni bottle opener, peroni bowl, peroni coastersx2 and a vodkat cocktail kit,
would love to win something 'proper'!!

Comments

• Zahc
    Zahc Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    You should have a folder ('My Music' ?) with your music in it. Open up itunes and import music from that folder.
  • boltonangel
    boltonangel Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    i've just tried doing that but whenever i opened my music the only option it gave me was itunes (i was in itunes at the time)

what am i doing wrong?

wins - peroni bottle opener, peroni bowl, peroni coastersx2 and a vodkat cocktail kit,
  • timread
    timread Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Open iTunes, then go to File, Add Folder to Library. Choose your My Music folder, or wherever you've ripped your music to.

Just checking - have you ripped your music in MP3 format, and not WMA?
  • boltonangel
    Options
    i am completely rubbish at things like this.

i downloaded the music on kazaa ages ago, and then somehow put it onto wmp (it was about 2 years ago!!).

i've just tried what's been said above,but i cannot find wmp listed, it shows itunes and sample music, but no wmp.

• niceguyrichy
    niceguyrichy Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    what Media Player are you using? (9 / 10.... ??)

in the library select to see all views (not sure exactly how in earlier versions, in WMP11 right click and select more views. something like that)
    double click the 'folder' option in the library, and it should show you all the source folders that your media player music is in, and then within itunes you can navigate to the specific folders using 'add folder'.
    "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts."
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How are you managing your music right now?

I know you're using Windows Media Player's library to manage it, but where do you keep the files on your compuer? In your 'My Music' folder?

Second question. Do you want Itunes to manage your music from now on or do you still want to use Windows Media Player to play it?
  • boltonangel
    Options
    i would like to use itunes for all the music

• boltonangel
    Options
    don't know if this is of use, but the songs say .wma after them.

• sra
    Options
    i would like to use itunes for all the music

Itunes can keep all your music in it's own file system if you want. Then you can delete the originals from the My Music folder. From then on all your music will be in Itunes own folder (in My Music)

Open Itunes.

From the EDIT menu, select PREFERENCES

Under the ADVANCED tab, make sure
    'Keep itunes music folder orgnaized' and
    'Copy files to itunes Music folder when adding to library' are ticked.

click ok

Now click 'Library' on the left pane.

Anything you drag into the centre of the Itunes window will be copied to your Itunes folder. You can then delete the original file.

For example, you could drag a song from the desktop onto Itunes. Itunes will take a copy of the song and then you could delete the one on your desktop

The quickest way to add all your music to Itunes would be to open 'My Documents' and drag the whole 'My Music' folder onto Itunes. You'd have to have enough disk space to copy your entire music collection - If you don't then you could just do it folder by folder.

Remember to delete the original files afterwards or you'll have two copies taking up space. If you need to access you music outside Itunes you'll find it all in the Itunes folder inside 'My Music'
  • sra
    Options
    don't know if this is of use, but the songs say .wma after them.

I think when you first try and copy a wma into Itunes, it offers to convert it for you. You can choose either mp3 (so you can use it with any system in the future) or AAC (Apple's own format)

To choose between mp3 and AAC, you might first have to -

Go to Preferences again -

Select Importing from under the Advanced tab
    then select 'Import using mp3'

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts