Installing gas in the house... where to start

Options
Hi,

I currently only have gas to the living room fire, and all the rest of the house is on storage heaters.

I have been revovating the house, and feel this will put people off. I just wondered how big a job it would be to install a combi boiler and radiators.

I have concrete downstair floors but ahve hear about the skirting boards that you can put pipes into.

I just wondered what a resonable price would be, and if there are any grants for making the house more energy efficicent?

I ahve a friend who is a gas fire who said he would help me do the work and then get it inspected by a qualified corgi engineer... is this feasible.

Also, can I take the source of the gas fire as the starting point or, am I better to take it a new source straight to the combi boiler.

In a nushell I just want to get clued up so I know good quotes from bad ones.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    So basically you are wanting ballpark figure for installing gas central heating to a property with an existing gas supply?

Average 3/4 bed semi I would say would be £4-6K. A lot of plumbers these days use plastic pipe for retro fit systems and these can be chased into the walls/floor. I'm sure a plumber will be along soon to give some more detailed info.

Olias
  • delerium
    delerium Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    I was quoted £2500 for the combi boiler and radiators (8) and fitted....unfortunately I don't have gas so not willing to pay the £7000 to get the gas piped to the house.

see the energy saving trust http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/ for any bursaries or grants to help out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure