We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Broken Wii - ASDA says No

I purchased a Nintendo Wii from Asda at the end of November 2008 for my son as they were in short supply. He opened it on Christmas Day 2008.

In December 2009, the Wii broke and Asda said that the 12 month warranty had expired and that I should contact Nintendo directly.

I am really disappointed because we have used the Wii for less than twelve months because we bought it early for Christmas and now we have fallen foul of the warranty period.

I contacted them stating Martin's Sad Fart rule about goods lasting a reasonable time and they refused to budge.

Apart from purchasing a new unit and boycotting Asda, do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Babycakes wrote: »
    I purchased a Nintendo Wii from Asda at the end of November 2008 for my son as they were in short supply. He opened it on Christmas Day 2008.

    In December 2009, the Wii broke and Asda said that the 12 month warranty had expired and that I should contact Nintendo directly.

    I am really disappointed because we have used the Wii for less than twelve months because we bought it early for Christmas and now we have fallen foul of the warranty period.

    I contacted them stating Martin's Sad Fart rule about goods lasting a reasonable time and they refused to budge.

    Apart from purchasing a new unit and boycotting Asda, do I have any other options?

    Thanks in advance

    contact nintendo ;) they may have a repair service
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Try writing to ASDA head office, but if they don't budge, Nintendo do repairs.
    It depends what has broken to how expensive this will be, but my sisters cost £11 to fix, so not all repairs are expensive.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Contact Nintendo, my Wii broke after 14 months and they repaired it for free.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    why should asda replace or repair the product?? its an issue with nintendo themselves, had it broken within 30 days i would take it back to asda but any longer than that you need to get in contact with nintendo. As for boycotting asda do you not think your being a bit dramatic??
    A 12 month warranty is standard, i agree though you should expect a lot more life out of it than just 12 months, new consoles dont seem to last as long as they ought to
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    under the sale of goods act after 6 months and upto 6 years you have to prove that the fault was inherent and not due to misuse. If you can do this then you can insist on a replacement/repair and if they are generous a refund (but they are not obliged to do this)

    However for the cost in getting an independant report it may be just as well sending it to Nintendo for repair, getting the bill and sending an appropiately worded letter to Asda Head office explaining what had happened and maybe tag it at the end

    'As I have only had this 12 months and X days if you are unwilling to help me out on this and refund £xx for the cost of the repair then I will have to take my shopping else where. In the last 12 months I have spent approximately £xxxx with yourselves and always found your company to be excellant'

    etc etc etc
    Always ask ACAS
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JD is indeed correct, pitkin is wrong. Your contract with the retailer not the manufacture. After 6 mouths under SOGA its up to prove the fault is inherent with the product ie you have to get a Engineers report.

    Before you get the report done I would write to there head office via recorded delivery. That's your best bet usually the thought of paying for the engineers report get them to play ball.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hello, the wii is 13 months old, its up to the OP to prove now it has an inherent fault not the retailer not the manufacturer, asda wont care its out of warranty your best bet like i said is to contact nintendo directly, but if they repair it and find its down to misue, i.e dropped or knocked they are likely to charge you for the repair.
    Boycotting asda will get you no where, you will look like a child sptting your dummy out of your pram,
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    pitkin2020 wrote: »
    hello, the wii is 13 months old, its up to the OP to prove now it has an inherent fault not the retailer not the manufacturer, asda wont care its out of warranty your best bet like i said is to contact nintendo directly, but if they repair it and find its down to misue, i.e dropped or knocked they are likely to charge you for the repair.
    Boycotting asda will get you no where, you will look like a child sptting your dummy out of your pram,


    did you not read what I put? I said it was upto him to prove the fault but the fact remains his contract is with Asda, not Nintendo and as for boycottng Asda, if I was them and someone could prove they shopped here regularly and spent whatever then I would look after them for the cost of £50-£60 quid etc
    Always ask ACAS
  • sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    How did it break???

    Mine died recently and wouldn't power up at all. I finally got round to having a look at it and it was the power supply. (My Wii powered up using my mates power supply). I looked on the help pages of Nintendo and it recommended unplugging from the mains and Wii for 2+ minutes and then trying it again. Don't know how, but it worked!! :j

    My sister sent hers back out of warranty as the DVD-drive wouldn't read any discs. They sent it back repaired with no charge! I keep joking that it just had some dirt on the lens :D

    I would advise to try Nintendo. If it does cost you anything, claim it back from ASDA because as the above posts say, you need to prove yourself it was inherantly faulty and there is no better way of proving it than the manufacturer saying it is! It's up to ASDA to then claim it back from Nintendo:rolleyes:
  • Cerenia
    Cerenia Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    My Wii died after 14 months (Laser issue - they died on my 21st birthday >.<), called up Nintendo, took 10 days and all fixed, for free :)
    ~*Cerenia*~

    2017 Goals
    Wedding Saving Pot - £1300/£2500

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.