Windows fitters coming..what to check

Options
Hi,
Windows (and door) fitters starting tomorrow, any tips for what to keep an eye on to make sure the job is done right please?

Thank you,
European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont you trust them? Presumably you've hired a reputable company?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Hi,
    Windows (and door) fitters starting tomorrow, any tips for what to keep an eye on to make sure the job is done right please?

Thank you,

Any pointers appreciated (not looking for a debate on it)
  • chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    Options
    I hired a reputable company, so they corrected errors they'd made, Eg, scratches to frames probably done in the factory, a conspicuous scratch on the patio doors - glass was replaced. I had georgian type bars and one window wasn't level, and another patio door plus windows unit the bars weren't lined up. The glass was remade with new glazing bars. One window had a section of the black rubber missing. All hassle, but overall I was pleased enough to order a second batch of windows from them when we had an extension built. If you can bear the cold go outside and look at the windows while they are going in as well as hovering inside. I made the guys drinks and sandwiches and cleared the rooms. There was a bit of damage to the inside decor but not much, not an issue as we redecorated soon after.
    My last house the glass in the bathroom was fitted upside down (patterned - it really bugged my oh) they dropped the window in the bath when they came back to do it again. Going to be cold, not a job I'd want to do in the winter, good luck.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont you trust them? Presumably you've hired a reputable company?

How can anyone know what kind of a job they will do until they start?

I hired what was supposed to be a reputable company and rued the day. They left me with big gaps, broken concrete outer sills and poor finishing.

OP, make sure they fill any gaps (usually with expanding foam) otherwise you will still feel draughts coming in around the edges. Some seem to think it's ok to just cover these up with trim.

Make sure you're satisfied with the level of finishing. You could drive a bus through the mitres they left me with. :rolleyes:

Ask questions, you don't need to stand over them whilst they work but if they are decent they will take a few minutes to answer anything you pick up on or want to query.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Thanks, its the premium local company (I did my homework) but as you say its going to be very cold and human nature I wouldn't blame them trying to get done and home in the warm, the things you mention I will keep a look out for, cheers.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Where are you based sillygoose?
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    The obvious stuff .
    They should not be leaving a mess And they should be careful of things in your home.

Check all the openers and especially patio door sliders and any 2 way openers ..make sure they sit right in the frame when they close.
    Look for gaskets out of place and that they haven't used steel edges on frames and trims leaving scratches or dents.
    Make sure there are is no cracked glass and that any patterns are the right way up.

Oh and check whether they want a cup of tea about every hour or so to keep them sweet :)
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Yeah but don't be too friendly or they might think you're a soft touch. I made my lot cups of tea, bacon rolls, biscuits etc. The took the p*** because they thought I was 'nice' and would put up with it. :rolleyes:
  • sillygoose
    Options
    globalds wrote: »

Oh and check whether they want a cup of tea about every hour or so to keep them sweet :)

It was actually every 40 minutes before Christmas when they did my fascia, I didn't want a fitter frozen to my new gutters until the spring!!!
  • sillygoose
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Yeah but don't be too friendly or they might think you're a soft touch. I made my lot cups of tea, bacon rolls, biscuits etc. The took the p*** because they thought I was 'nice' and would put up with it. :rolleyes:

Bacon rolls?? :eek: blimey! the amount of money I am spending with them they should be bringing me a banquet every day! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure