fixing a laptop

Options
i dropped my laptop the other day :eek: and now the keyboard wont work :eek: is there anything i can do myself it is a dell latitude 400 nice laptop but broken boohoo thanks diane xxxx:cry::cry:
:iloveyou:

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cheap to get a new one from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Latitude-LS-L400-keyboard-for-laptop_W0QQitemZ120000354766QQihZ002QQcategoryZ31568QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but it may be a crack in the motherboard, or only that the thing has come loose and needs reconnecting

think I've got the dismantle guide on disk here somewhere
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    c400 (curved) or l400 (square sides)?

try putting firm pressure with the palm of your hand on top of the keyboard. (around the ghj keys).

If that doesn't work, remove the keyboard and check that the ribbon cable connector is seated on the motherboard.

L400, put firm pressure with fingers on the top grey strip of plastic (1cm by 25cm ish) where the on/off switch is, push it left, it should click out. undo 4 screws, and lift kb off.

C400, same strip prises of with screwdriver, (may be held with a couple of screws underneath), remove screws as with l400, check ribbon connector.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • penny_pincher_7
    Options
    thanks guys will try all this ...i will let you know diane xxxxx
  • matto
    matto Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Might be worth checking it works with an external keyboard if you have one.
  • penny_pincher_7
    Options
    hi guys just trying now....it does connect to the internet ok but i cant type on it ...it`s also the dell D400 so here goes i will keep you posted xxxxdiane xxxxx
  • penny_pincher_7
    Options
    thankyou to you all ......................yipee it`s working yeaayyyy we did it guys thanks diane xxxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport