We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Gym membership. Gym closed when should be open.
charliepink_2
Posts: 61 Forumite
Hello i am not sure if this is the right place to put this thread. I signed up with a 'ladies only gym' in April last yr. It is not a well known one just a small one. I pay £29.50 a month. I was quite eager at first wanting to lose weight and i would go about 3 times a week. In June we were asked to sign another form which said that a new collection agency will be taking over our payments and now my contract says i signed up in June instead of April! I questioned this and was told it was April after all. But the problem i have is on more that 4 occasions i have been to the gym only to find it closed. It opens Mon-Fri 9am-8pm. We have driven past at 6pm and it is closed and Sat-Sun open 10am-5pm. I went in Sept at about 9.30am (weekday) only for it to be closed no explanation. I went the following day again closed i am quite frustrated as i could go with another gym with better facilites for the same price. What would anyone else do?
0
Comments
-
Complain and quit0
-
Thank you i was thinking that. But am bit scared of getting threatning letters in. I did think to write a letter of complaint. I did go on one occasion and the woman who runs the gym was going around switching off the machines at 7pm and moaning that she needed to get home!0
-
charliepink wrote: »Thank you i was thinking that. But am bit scared of getting threatning letters in. I did think to write a letter of complaint. I did go on one occasion and the woman who runs the gym was going around switching off the machines at 7pm and moaning that she needed to get home!
read your contract carefully to make sure it doesnt exclude things like this. Even if it does though you could still argue its an unreasonable amount considering there is no valid or apparent reason for the restrictions. go to consumer direct for more info and help.Back by no demand whatsoever.0 -
charliepink wrote: »Thank you i was thinking that. But am bit scared of getting threatning letters in. I did think to write a letter of complaint. I did go on one occasion and the woman who runs the gym was going around switching off the machines at 7pm and moaning that she needed to get home!
If you are prepared to take them to the small claims court then there is absolutely nothing to be worried about.
I've had companies threaten me due to standing up for my rights. As I know I can take them to court due to their breach of contract, and they would look foolish the letters have just got me more annoyed. If you have a court case and win then there will be a journalist interested in your story which means bad publicity for the gym.
As suggested contact consumer direct.
In addition you need to remember the dates and times of when you tried to go to the gym and it was closed. Simply saying it was closed on x occasions without dates and times, and the fact that you went past and it was closed is not a good enough argument as you were not trying to use the gym facilities.
Also while you don't have to send your letters via recorded delivery. It makes it easier for you if you have to threaten court action or actually take it as a business cannot deny they didn't receive post and be believed.I'm not cynical I'm realistic
(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)0 -
I am going to keep my membership on until it finshes in Apr but i am going to complain about the opening hrs as well.
One thing i find strange is that i have been checking my bank statements and my last 2 paid to the gym have a different name on them than the previous ones! The previous ones are paid to a person but the last 2 are paid to a company?
My friend cancelled hers in Sept had 2 threatning letters and nothing since but i am not going to take the chance. Thanks for the replies.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards