We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Comet misprinted price in sales leaflet...

Hello, I recently visited Comet (we live electrical) and picked up a large red sales leaflet. Inside was a computer going for £349.99. I managed to secure some money from my parents as they recently moved house. This is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to buy something new instead of relying on secondhand or freebies.

For the spec. it was a bargain, so I telephoned the number printed on the leaflet to see where the nearest branch was that had one in stock - only to be told that the price was a misprint and that the PC was actually £449.99. As the item was in the sales and clearly priced at £349.99, can I argue that they should honour the price printed : £349.99?

Best Wishes

Debt Tired
«1

Comments

  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    The money is second hand and a freebie (if you don't have to pay it back) as it came from your parents. Comet does not have to honour the price.
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    The money is second hand and a freebie (if you don't have to pay it back) as it came from your parents.

    Trying to figure out why this is in any way helpful to the OP?
    :smileyhea
  • Debt_Tired wrote: »
    Hello, I recently visited Comet (we live electrical) and picked up a large red sales leaflet. Inside was a computer going for £349.99. I managed to secure some money from my parents as they recently moved house. This is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to buy something new instead of relying on secondhand or freebies.

    For the spec. it was a bargain, so I telephoned the number printed on the leaflet to see where the nearest branch was that had one in stock - only to be told that the price was a misprint and that the PC was actually £449.99. As the item was in the sales and clearly priced at £349.99, can I argue that they should honour the price printed : £349.99?

    Best Wishes

    Debt Tired


    No, they do not have to honour the price they printed, as when they advertise something or put it in the shop priced up, that is an "invitation to treat", meaning they are open to take and "offer" of sale from people, but, they do not have to accept a sale. Any shop or business does not legally have to accept to sell you something.

    But it is good customer service if they honoured the price.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920
    10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Sunshine12 wrote: »
    Trying to figure out why this is in any way helpful to the OP?

    About as much as your post? :p
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    About as much as your post? :p

    and yours? :rolleyes:
    :smileyhea
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920
    10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Sunshine12 wrote: »
    and yours? :rolleyes:

    I was not trying to be helpful to the OP, I was responding to your post. ;)

    I take it your new year has not got off to a good start considering the stroppiness of your posts? Chill out! :p
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    New Year off to great start thanks. Just get bit exasperated when people ask for help and are responded to with smart a** comments. I wasnt responding to OP in my original post either. Thought that was obvious. My response to you was made in a tongue in cheek manner as I thought yours was, wasnt being stroppy.
    :smileyhea
  • savemoney wrote: »
    The first pc I mentioned from pcworld has now expired but the Misco one has been on offer for days and looks good spec for price

    Was the comet pc this one?

    http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/602442/HP-P6206

    Yep, that's the one :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    People make mistakes, but they did tell you there was an error. If they were to honour the price, it'd be out of goodwill, but I suspect if a sales leaflet has gone out with a mistake on across the whole country, they'll have been told not to honour the lower price.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    The contract of sale is made at the point of sale, do comet don't have to sell you the item at all. But you might be lucky, smile nicely complain a little that you have travelled specially to the wonderful store, you always shop at comet and so do all you family and pet cat and you are everso dsappointed about the item and you never know!!!

    But don't get angry or stroppy, the nice option always works for me!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

    I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.