PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

6000 meals under 50p in 2010; feeding your family on a low budget

Options

Comments

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Allegra wrote: »

And lovely it is too:D I am making some today whilst i have some time off.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Bigmumma and BOB. I was just popping on actually to say sorry to Mark if I overstepped a line by analysing DS1s cheese. I noticed you usually thank contributors and (because I'd worried I'd said too much) I checked and you hadn't with that one:o

I wanted to say oops and sorry if it was a bit much, and by way of explanation I was pretty angry with the criticism you got and said what I did out of a kind of protective feeling.

Loving all the ideas on this thread Mark et al, you are an inspiring bunch :T:T:beer:
    keep going please!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popped in to say great threat and keeping my fingers crossed that you achieve your goals mark88man.

I always keep an idea in my head of budgeting around £1 per person per meal, although breakfast is invariably less and dinner can be more. Some summer days with canny shopping, a good day's egg laying from my girls and a good crop of fruit and veggies in the garden it's been as low as 20p.

Those days are good days and give me immense amounts of satisfaction, because they usually mean that what's on my plate has almost all been raised at home.

We all have our own individual goals and aspirations, as well as our standards, ethical code, experiences and desires. It's ridiculous for anyone to come on a forum of all places, read between a few hastily typed lines, make assumptions and judgements and then quote government statistics to push people to think and behave along one narrow avenue.

By all means share, enlighten and inspire others with your knowledge and your experience, but it's a mistake to beat them over the head and be superior in attitude and condescending in tone. As some posters have found out, they get rejected and then ignored. Suddenly your opinion, which may be valid, counts for nothing because no-one is listening any more.
    "carpe that diem"
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Just catching up on the thread after a few days absence - it moves so quick - can't believe it.

Anyway, nothing to add at this time, but didn't want to read and run - I think you are doing fab! Keep up the good work....

A
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Thanks Bigmumma and BOB. I was just popping on actually to say sorry to Mark if I overstepped a line by analysing DS1s cheese. I noticed you usually thank contributors and (because I'd worried I'd said too much) I checked and you hadn't with that one:o

I wanted to say oops and sorry if it was a bit much, and by way of explanation I was pretty angry with the criticism you got and said what I did out of a kind of protective feeling.

Loving all the ideas on this thread Mark et al, you are an inspiring bunch :T:T:beer: keep going please!

No offence taken - I rarely take offence at anything, and would absolutely never take offence at someone as helpful as you - *hugs* . I just had too much work and too many posts and didn't do a proper job with the thanks button.That's all for now just taking a lunch break (woopsied bread, carrots and apples :rotfl: will catch up later when I get home
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thans so much for this, it has truley inspired me... :)

P.S i love cheese :D

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    spurred on by those nice comments from Mark:D, a couple of other ideas for with pasta:

2 bags smartprice pasta shapes cooked drained with 1 whole jar of asda pesto stirred through, along with half a bag of frozen fine green beans snipped in half also stirred through. If you don't super-drain the pasta, the little bit of remaining moisture will help the pesto flavour all the pasta shapes :)

This would make each person be having a whopping 166g of pasta each which is a pretty enormous helping, so I think you'd be left with lots to have as cold pasta salad for lunch boxes...

even if it all got polished of, it's 33p per portion, so plenty left for a nice pudding...

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    just wanted to derlurk, and show my support, i am not a big poster, but read alot, getting lots of tips and inspiration from this thread, so thankyou.
  • Karrie2129
    Options
    Weezl that's a brilliant idea! I always have a bag of green beans in the freezer and just love pesto!! Thank you!
    Total Debt: 1383/ £8121

Aiming to clear 50% by Xmas 2012 :j
  • whichwhydoIturn
    Options
    hi omg i love this idea.

just dont know where to start

could you tell me where the ideas for the meals are? or is it using everything of meals & no waste.

thank you ....
    mum "e" to the most perfect girl :Awho stood by me through it all nana to my beautiful grandson WLM 27.09.13:j
    mother of the bride September 2014 :love:
    Turning a house into a home :o
    What if the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure