Storage Companies

Options
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right board to post on, but wondering if anyone can suggest/knows of any reliable cheap storage companies. I'm going abroad for 4-5 months and need to store my belongings while I'm away. The well known places like Big Yellow and Access charge a fortune!

Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    it would help if you let us know which area you are in?
    Get some gorm.
  • Maybeelady
    Options
    Sorry - of course! London.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My friend manages a storage company and he has helped a few of my friends out so I have picked up some tips from him.

If you select a storage company further out from central London the prices get cheaper, never accept the first price they quote you as they have lots of room for negoiation. Also tell them you have had a cheaper quote from their competitor down the road.

Watch out as a lot of them will insist you take out their insurance which is expensive and they won't normally include the price in what they tell you
  • Maybeelady
    Maybeelady Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks dacouch - will try negotiating outside of London!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need to go outside (Although it will be cheaper), if you live in Sarf London you could try somewhere out of central London like Mitcham etc etc. Obviously in nearer the centre of London the property and staff costs are higher for the companies plus there is more demand so they charge more than the outskirts.

Another tip is do not buy boxes from them, get them free from a supermarket or you can buy the same boxes the storage companies will sell you for a fraction of the cost from ebay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure