possible to fly into Bangkok and out of Hanoi?

Just planning a bit of a get away and wondered about a trip from Bangkok to Hanoi via Vietaine/Luang Prabang.

Is it possible to get flights for this cheaply?

What's the best way to do it? I thought maybe going overland BKK-->HAN and then getting a flight from HAN back to BKK so I can just get the straightforward LON<-->BKK return flight.

any advice appreciated! :beer:
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you can do multicity flights - have a look on something like kayak and select multi city - this will alow you to either do
    LON - BKK out
    HAN - LON back (although there is a change)

or you could do
    LON - BKK
    BKK - HAN
    HAN - BKK
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get an open-jaw ticket as recommended by Caz3121 then look at Air Asia for a cheap flight from BKK to HAN.
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can definitely go overland through Laos and it's a good way of seeing the real countries and real people rather than all the usual tourist stuff. Have you had a look at the forums on Tripadvisor? Lots of advice there on how to do this. We took the overnight train from Bangkok to Vientiane this summer and found it great fun. Pm me if you'd like more details.
  • gld73
    gld73 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can get London to Bangkok return tickets quite cheaply when the airlines have offers, so you're right to check whether getting a flight back to BKK from Hanoi would be better than getting an open jaw ticket. It'll all depend on the exact dates and what offers are on at the time though.

I think the "standard" price for a 1-way Hanoi to Bangkok flight is around $250, with 1 way between Luang Prabang and Hanoi being $150 approx - but you can get them for less if you book online in advance (e.g. Hanoi to BKK around $180 in taxes). Vietnam Airlines certainly does a daily flight to Bangkok from Hanoi (flight takes a little under 2 hrs) but Thai Airways and Air Asia probably do the same route too.

Overland travel in south east asia is cheap, but can take up a fair chunk of your holiday time with the distances. I've backpacked around Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in previous years, and currently work in Cambodia (just back in the UK for Xmas and new year now!). Personally I preferred Hoi Chi Minh (Saigon) to Hanoi, and the Angkor temples in Cambodia are probably the top site in SE asia, but you can't do everything in 1 trip unless you spend a couple of months in the area, so Bangkok, Laos and Hanoi will still be great places to visit! Good luck and have a great time :beer:
  • hook
    hook Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we was in bangkok and bought a flight to hanoi with thai airlines it cost less than a £100 and took a couple of hours. but im sure air asia would have some good fares. travel is cheap over there.
  • tuftyclub
    tuftyclub Posts: 158 Forumite
    laos air does hanoi to LP and then you could consider traveling from LP to VT then overland to BKK or Udon and catch an Air Asia flight to BKK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure