2010 is the year to be debt free

Options
2»

Comments

• herewegoagain2010
    Options
    We're 11 days away from our finishing line :j

I've made a call to our loan provider and have arranged for a final direct debit to be made on the 5th September which will clear our last outstanding debt. It's taken a few months more than it should have done, but we've got there in the end. It's been a bumpy road with too many annoying unexpected expenses. We're going to celebrate in style with a lovely Christmas pressie from our family, a bottle of Moet. It's been sat in the fridge since December waiting for our debt free in date. I'm can't wait to get it cracked:T
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations! It must be lovely knowing you are so close to the finish line!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    Thanks Saving. It does feel great to be this close, I just wish I could press fast forward so it come quicker lol! We've got a lovely bottle of moet which we've kept for our debt free date. It was an xmas pressie and it's been hard not to crack it open. It's chilling nicely and will wash down our Indian to celebrate once the money's been taken from our account. :money:
    A very proud forces wife
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    I'm so excited! It's pay day and the money is sat in our account waiting on the loan company taking the settlement payment. We're offically debt free on the 5th September, but the suspense is killing me. It's going to be a long month and we'll be skint at the end, but I don't care. We've starting looking at Christmas Presents ideas for the children and a little cottage holiday at Easter. Don't worry we're not rushing back into debt, but setting saving targets in our new debt free life. I feel like a huge wait has finally been lifted. 2010 is our debt free year!
    A very proud forces wife
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    We did finally make it and are now offically deft free. The best made plans always go wrong and we had a little slip at Christmas with my hubby's employer deciding to take £800 off him. It wasn't good, but we'd already sorted the children's pressies and we cut back for our normal xmas blow out. It was worth the hard work, changing spending habits and becoming a true 'northern-tight-g.t' according to my hubby. He meant it in an affectionate term, well he better had done!

The cottage idea at Easter has proved to be far too expensive for our budget, so rather than saying' we'll treat ourselves' we've cancelled the idea and have booked a cheapy travel lodge in london for a couple of days. I've got some free tickets for the eye and wax works, so london on a shoe-string here we come.

My plans for the future save, overpay the mortgage and never to fall back into the red. I want so many things in life new car, holidays, etc, but I've finally realised we don't need them. They're are only things and don't make you truely happy. Spending time with family and friends is far more rewarding than bringing boot full of carrier bags home.

Herewegoagain2010.......the name said it all. Trying again to be debt free in 2010, we missed the end of the year, but finally made it in 2011. I'm going to keep my log-in as my reminder.
    A very proud forces wife
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport