state pention

Hi
I will try and make this as short as possible.
I didn't put in for state pention when i was 60 i was also on benifits,
3yrs on ,i have been on pention credits and getting poll tax benifits. help,
I now have heard that i will be recieving lump sum about £14.000.Its money owing to me,for not putting in to claim state pention ,
Will i have to give any money back to the council ,Can anyone take some back even though this is due to me ,

Comments

• patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Did they not know your age? As normally they would take you off other benefits and start your pension. Unless that benefit is one unrelated to age which you would still get with your pension. You can get pension credit (that answers my question as they must know your age to give you pension credit) even if you do not claim the actual pension. Finally, you should be able to take the 3 years unclaimed as an addition to your pension not necessarily as a lump sum. This after 3 full years would turn a basic pension of £95.25 a week to a pension of just under £125 per week for life. The lump sum is taxable. If £14000 is the full amount & you add any other income to it & take off your tax allowance (£9490?) you will pay them 20% of this straight back!!
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Sorry I've just realised that this doesn't answer your question. Perhaps the best way to figure that out is - what is the difference between the benefit you have been receiving and the pension you would have received. If the only income you would have received is as above then it looks like you would probably have been entitled to the benefits anyway and will still be even if on £125 per week (plus pension credit). There is a direct.gov website which allows you to feed all sorts of figures into it without giving personal details>
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    You'd be best off posting on the 'Work & Benefits' benefits board - there are usually several people who actually work in various benefit offices there so your chances of getting a correct answer are better.
  • sorry i am terrible for explaining things,i have not held a full time job for years,I helped my mum .so it was only part time jobs ,and with 2 children it was part time .When i turned 60yrs i applied for pension credit,thinking i suppose that was my pension so i carried on receiving pension credit with council tax.not knowing any different.I am now 63 and then the pension people sent some papers to me asking me to tick the box saying lump sum or extra money on my weekly pention,so i rang them and said i am confused,They said how much i would be getting saying its owed to me ,in other words 3yrs money ,well i told them i didn't understand any of it.,I haven't paid tax for over 30yrs as i didn't have a full time job so i couldn't pay tax ,only part time work .
    Well after i spoke to the gentleman who phoned me ,he ticked the box for lump sum and sent the papers to me to sign ,So through no fault of mine ,its money do to me,
    I was just wondering.How much money can you have in the bank before any one can take of you.like the goverment
    Thanks for listening
    marvale
  • You are a good person,and very helpful please have a happy new year
    Marvale
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. :rolleyes:

As you've been receiving pension credit which incorporates any state pension money due, you will obviously not be entitled to any money for deferring state pension, as you've already received it. So nothing due to you, unfortunately.

Tell 'the pension people' you have been receiving pension credit for the past 3 years and let them sort it out with the benefits people.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Guess what? I did,By the time i finished telling the man what you just mentioned.Is it any wonder that I'm confused,
    I will let you know the out come after the holidays when hopefully we will be back to normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure