Question about someone sending payment via Paypal outside of Ebay

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
6 replies 1.2K views
crazyshadycrazyshady Forumite
329 Posts
Someone has enquired about some things i may have and they have asked if they just pay me with Paypal could i send the items to them. I am fine with this but i am just wondering is there a secure way of doing this so that they can't reverse the payment or anything. I want to protect myself so i don't get conned but i just want to know the right way of doing it because it isn't through Ebay and i don't want to lose the money and the item and have no way of ever getting them back.

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the buyer who loses some protection by being outside of ebay. As a seller you merely have to ensure that you send the goods tracked to the address that paypal give you and says is 'OK to send' to. Obviously if you are not using tracking then even that doesn't matter.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • I will send it recorded but since it is outside of Ebay i wasn't sure if there was anything they could do to me to get their money back afterwards and con me. Do they just send payment to me or send it as a 'gift' or anything inparticular?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    crazyshady wrote: »
    I will send it recorded but since it is outside of Ebay i wasn't sure if there was anything they could do to me to get their money back afterwards and con me. Do they just send payment to me or send it as a 'gift' or anything inparticular?

You could ask them to do it as a gift as they could not reclaim it at all if they did that. However, I would be cautious as that could make you look a bit of a scammer as it is a trick that chancers often use to talk people out of their basic protection.

If they don't care about any protection at all offer a discount for bank transfer instead :T
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • They actually only live about an hour or so away but i guess they are not able to travel to me in person. The fact that they are offering to buy via Paypal shows that they must really want it since they don't live a million miles away,
  • you can send them a paypal invoice and there is 3 choices i think of what it is for, outside ebay, goods and other. i am not sure if paypal accept recorded as proof of postage but they do accept special delivery, i would go to ebays community questions and check first.
  • cyberbobcyberbob Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    ukstocks5 wrote: »
    you can send them a paypal invoice and there is 3 choices i think of what it is for, outside ebay, goods and other. i am not sure if paypal accept recorded as proof of postage but they do accept special delivery, i would go to ebays community questions and check first.

Its the same rules as ebay you have to prove delivery. So recorded is fine if it actually updates properly (which it doesnt always). If its over £39 send special delivery so you are covered insurance wise it also guarantees tracking
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals