cat flap in new rented property

Options
I'm really stuck, I would love a cat, but feel that it should have its own entrance /exit in the form of a cat flap.

Problem being that I live in a brand new rented property. Now I haven't asked about pets yet and the answer may well be a flat no, but if I can't figure out a way of putting in a cat flap I won't bother asking as I won't be getting a cat.

Anyway, whole house is double glazed, except for the timber front door, and I don't have a back door.

So the only things I can so far think of as I suspect the only things that will be entertained are things that can be put back at the end of the tenancy, and unfortunately none of my ideas are very cheap.

-new glass for one of the windows with a catflap in it, keeping the old glass to be put back later. How sealed are double glazed units, is it possible to change the glass panel without compromising the window?

-New front door containing cat flap, keep old front door to go back at the end of the tenancy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above?
2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j

Comments

• 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    What makes you think you will be allowed to fit a cat flap?
    Not Again
  • dieselhead
    Options
    What makes you think you will be allowed to fit a cat flap?

As I have said the answer may well be no, however I feel that if I can find a way of putting the property back at the end of the tenancy it is more likely to be entertained.
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get house cats haven't had one myself but I doubt landlord would like you to have one fitted unless you may agreed to replace door when you leave
  • dieselhead
    Options
    This is what I'm getting at I want anything I do to be reversible when I leave hence a new front door and keep the existing one, new glass in window, keep existing glass.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've always had cats and never had a cat flap, wouldn't even consider one.

My cats seem to adapt very quickly to the family lifestyle. They sleep in all night, then go out early for whatever they need to do and come back before the last person leaves for work. They then tend to go out for the evenings and come in when we go to bed.

If we go on holiday for a couple of days a neighbour lets them in and out a couple of times a day. If we go for longer they go to a cattery.

They are perfectly contented, I never have to worry about them being set upon by the local family of foxes that live at end of garden and they are as clean as anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    Spoke to a lovely gentleman recently who's tennants did just what you are proposing to do. They kept the original door, and had another one with a cat flap. He had no problem at all, all he wanted was a quiet life (ie the rent paid). Seemed a good solution all round - Hope it all works out for you and a moglet.

(ps just to say read local cat charity had lots of cats to rehome)...
  • HRV
    HRV Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    I have 2 cats in a rented property and moved here from my own place where they had a cat flap- they don't mind not having one now- when we first moved we got them a cat kennel (hand made by a local man on ebay) it had cat flap and i carpetted it for them- this might work if you could train your cat so while you were out it had somewhere nice to be.

Talk to your landlord though they might not mind

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family