Current Account Requiring No Credit Check

Options
Hi guys, my credit rating isn't very good, and I'm really hoping to get a current account, with chip and pin etc. I currently have a Nationwide Cashcard and have been refused an upgrade online. Do I have any hope?

Comments

• EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you mean an account with an overdraft then you've no chance whatsoever of getting one without a credit check.

The only accounts that don't require a credit check are savings accounts, or "basic" bank accounts with no overdraft. Most of the banks will let you have a debit card, but it will be a "full-authorisation" one, which checks your account balance before the payment goes through. I believe, Nat West/Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Co-op Bank, Halifax/Bank of Scotland, all provide such a card.
  • henry9645
    Options
    I don't need an overdraft at all, just one that I can use in shops at tills, and online for paypal and that. Forgive my ignorance! :)
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im unsure of nationwide application processes.

However there are basic bank accounts that offer debit cards direct debits, standing orders etc

Barclays - Cash Account - Visa Debit
    RBS - Key Account - Visa Debit
    Natwest - Step Account - Visa Debit
    Co Op - Cashminder - Visa Electron (Badged as a Visa Debit)
    Yorkshire Bank - Readycash - Maestro

Hope that helps.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • seeya23
    seeya23 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    natwest and barclays give you a visa debit card on there basic bank accounts
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Nationwide are notorious for being very restrictive as to who they give debit cards to.

Firstly, I'd try another bank for a full current account. If you are declined there, then go for a basic account.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Go for any basic bank account except the ones with HBOS and LTSB, which has some sort of 'restrictions'. They do offer debit cards though.

The Co-op basic account comes with a Visa debit card, but still recognises it as an Electron. This problem hasn't been solved yet, due to the retailers not updating their BIN databases.

I highly recommend Barclays and RBS/Natwest for basic bank accounts.
  • BenS1
    BenS1 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    RBS certainly have visa debit, I have one and opened the account in September :)
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for natwest here especially now they are doing a proper debit card.

If you apply for the full account with natwest/RBS, if they cant offer you that the application will automatically offer the step/key accounts instead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure