Money to invest - What to do??

Options
Hi MSE-ers,

Need a bit of advice from you guys as to what to do with some spare cash that I have.

I've got around £2k to invest, but not sure where to invest. I'm looking at investing for the medium-term, hopefully 5 years and maybe even longer.

The easy option would be an ISA. However, I've been increasingly interested in stocks and shares, but haven't really a clue how to start investing in the market. I already have a pension scheme set-up through work, so want to invest elsewhere.

I would prefer to invest in stocks and shares, as these seem to yield better returns in the medium-term. But as I said I don't really know how to start....

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2009 at 2:56PM
    Options
    >Any help would be appreciated<

An investment fund with exposure to BRIC (Brazil/Russia/India/China) with low fees?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...thats like a first time swimmer going straight off the top of the highest diving board. :)

Not saying that it wont be suitable at the end but given as brandon has stated that he hasnt got a clue, its a bit of leap to go to such a high risk investment.

Remember that most of the people that dont invest in the stockmarket and call it too risky as they lost money in the past did not understand the risk of their investments and invested above their risk profile. Had they understood what they were doing and invested within their risk profile then they probably wouldnt have turned anti stockmarket. Lets not send brandon down that route...

Brandon, how much in value would that £2k have to drop for you to get cold feet and pull out?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    I stand corrected :)

OP did say it was 'spare cash' = higher risk...
  • brandon86
    Options
    thanks for the replies thus far guys,

It is spare cash, but, like dunstonh says, I don't want all the money going into high-risk investment. However, I would like some to go on high-risk markets, such as the emerging markets like mentioned.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Brandon, how much in value would that £2k have to drop for you to get cold feet and pull out?
    I've got a steady stream of income to cover all my bills from my salary, so I am happy to use this cash without getting cold feet and pulling out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure