citroen c3 eating the petrol!!

please can anyone advise me, I have bought a c3 two months ago and cant belive how much petrol it goes throught!! It goes bout 75 miles on £10 of petrol. Is this normal? Its a 05 plate, the garage said there is nothing wrong with it as they ave put it on the dignostic computer.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    curlyjo wrote: »
    please can anyone advise me, I have bought a c3 two months ago and cant belive how much petrol it goes throught!! It goes bout 75 miles on £10 of petrol. Is this normal?

75 miles to £10 of petrol = approx 37.5mpg. This doesnt sound too bad. The c3 is a relatively heavy car, so the smaller engines are going to drink petrol to pull the weight of it and the larger engines are going to use fuel, well, because they're larger engines.

If its of any consolation, i had a brand new 1.25 Zetec fiesta in 2007 and i never got it above 28mpg.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Check your tyre pressures when the car has been sitting overnight.

Also it's wintertime. You'll be driving around in freezing temperatures. The car will take ages to warm up and run rich for a long time. You'll have the heater, lights, stereo, rear window demister on - all of which burn fuel. The recent rain will increase drag and your car will burn more fuel to overcome it.
    The man without a signature.
  • curlyjo wrote: »
    please can anyone advise me, I have bought a c3 two months ago and cant belive how much petrol it goes throught!! It goes bout 75 miles on £10 of petrol. Is this normal? Its a 05 plate, the garage said there is nothing wrong with it as they ave put it on the dignostic computer.

I have to ask - exactly how many miles were you expecting to get out of 2 gallons of petrol?? What size engine is it, and what type of driving are you doing in this car?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • the car was serviced the day before i ad the car, the engine is 1.4. I ad petrol cars before but none was greedy like this car! I ad 2 pals looking for cars and their husbands couldnt belive how much petrol my car was using.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2010 at 10:30PM
    As people have said, this is actually pretty good consumption.

Stop worrying, there is nothing wrong!
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to get a bit more scientific about your mpg £10 can buy you between 8.2 litres and 9.6 litres of unleaded today depending on where you get it.

Fill the tank to the brim, reset mileage, drive about, refill tank to brim. workout you mpg.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    ive got a funny feeling the op's last car was diesel and not petrol.
    ...work permit granted!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ive got a funny feeling the op's last car was diesel and not petrol.

well they can look on the bright side of having a toasty car while those dirty dervers are still freezing :D
  • mrs_moneyspinner
    mrs_moneyspinner Posts: 425 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2010 at 8:39AM
    if you have your air/con heating on in this weather that is going to affect your consumption, how you drive your car (stop/start) and load/passengers. I have found the heat/air to be the main culprit on my C Picasso. Recently drove the same model with diesel and couldn't believe how much longer (50%) the fuel lasted in comparison to petrol.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale - Hans Christian Andersen[/FONT]
    2012 savings:remortgage £156.15pcm £5 pcm insurance reduced; 2012 Running totals: £10 goodwill requests/Grocery Coupons £12:T
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i have a 53 C3 1.4 and get about 80 miles for £10 at the moment and im mostly doing local short journeys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure