Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Halifax: house prices up 10% since bottom

Options
Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The market has rebounded dramatically in 2009 but experts suggest the trend is unlikely to continue ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

These threads have been merged to avoid duplication. Thanks to mystic_trev for the original post.

Comments

• Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This long cold winter is taking some kicking in.

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/word/HPI/HousePriceIndexDec2009.doc
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're a minute late sunshine!
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    UK house prices were 1.1% higher in December than a year earlier

Great news - another index shows that the market is back in positivie territory. Long may it continue.

I'm sure we'll get a few bears on ranting about double dips any moment now...
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    09:08 07Jan10 UK Halifax house price indices stronger than expected

The [UK HALIFAX DEC HPI] has come in stronger than expected with a 1% sa m/m rise vs the 0.5% consensus, while the 3-mth y/y rate increased by 1.1%.

These readings compare favourably vs the previous prints (in Nov) of a revised 1.3% (was 1.4%) and -1.6% resp, as house prices on the key measure mark their first positive 3M y/y gain since March 2008 (was also +1.1% coincidentally). Halifax (HBOS) said it sees house prices flat during 2010 and stated a pretty obvious, bland comment that interest rate cuts have helped to stimulate housing demand.

Also released at the same time, [SMMT] new car registrations rose 38.9% y/y, but down from Nov's 57.6%, while for 2009 as a whole registrations declined by 6.4%, which was the weakest outcome in some 14 years, despite incentives (like the scrappage scheme).
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're a minute late sunshine!

The extra minute was worth it for the yoy and the Lloyds link. :)
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    · Separate research recently released by Halifax showed that the proportion of disposable earnings devoted to mortgage payments by a potential new first-time buyer on national average earnings has almost halved from a peak of 50% in June 2007 to 27% in November 2009. This improvement in affordability has been a result of the combination of lower house prices and interest rate reductions.

This, to me, is perhaps the most encouraging part of the press release.

:T:T:T

FTB homes are now far more affordable than they have been for years.

As the mortgage market continues to thaw into the new year, we can only home that more potential FTBs are able to take advantage of this, and get started on the housing ladder
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    Options
    Wohoo. The index that no-one is allowed to understand is up.

At least it makes CPI 'inflation' looks like a quality index.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really2 wrote: »
    The extra minute was worth it for the yoy and the Lloyds link. :)

I actually delayed posting it as I thought I'd be beaten by the Frothing Scotsman ;) What's happened to the old boy?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    abaxas wrote: »
    Wohoo. The index that no-one is allowed to understand is up.

Seriously?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport