New Washing Machine 'Cold Fill Only'

Options
Hello. Getting a new Bosch washing machine delivered tomorrow and just reading a downloaded manual just realised that it is 'cold fill' only and not a mixture of hot and cold as my old (also a Bosch) was. Looking at a few more makes then the cold fill only seems to be the industry standard. Just wondering though how its installed - I assume I just connect the one water hose to the cold tap under the sink, and leave the hot water valve/outlet closed off (i.e with no hose attached as with my hot/cold fill Bosch today). Sorry if this seems like a really stupid/easy question but I have a complex with anything water related (always thinking stuff will leak)!!

Comments

• PeteMc
    PeteMc Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's exactly as you say. I first came across this in France a few years ago, so when I came back it was no surprise!
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's how we've done ours. Cold fill only is supposed to be more energy efficient so most machines nowadays are like that.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. Just done a quick search and it seems this is not the first time this sort of question has been asked. I therefore don't feel like a TOTAL idiot. Just wondering though - seen some people recommend fitting an extra safety fitting onto the end of the hot water pipe to guarantee it will never leak or cause problems if the valve is accidently knocked open. Could anyone post a link to the right sort of products (maybe from screwfix)?
  • NinjaB
    NinjaB Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Not an expert but i had to buy something like this as i had a machine with hot and cold but moved to france and just had the cold fill.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15272/Plumbing/Washing-Machine-Accs/Washing-Machine-Y-Piece-BSP
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need a 'stop end' of the right size (normally 15mm but could be 22mm) - such as this :-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93637/Plumbing/Compression-Fittings/Flowflex-Stop-End-15mm-Pack-of-10

........ also done in a soldered fitting if the raw end of the hot feed doesn't terminate with a threaded fitting.

Try your local builders / plumbers merchant ....... normally more accommodating for something small such as this. Seem to remember mine just gave me the fitting last time I needed one of these (for the same reason - the OH is too prone to knock any switched valve to leave it to trust! You need to seal it off.)
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Or unscrew the red plastic tap part of the fitting, put the screw back in and tape the red plastic bit to the valve so you don't lose it.

I got a plastic type of stop end from a plumber's merchants for next to nothing that just screwed onto the existing valve (see here - last item "Blanking Plug with Washers 3/4" BSP F" ..should be able to get similar thing from local plumber's merchants as i bought it as part of a bigger order qualifying for free postage)

The type you've linked to mike requires removal of the existing valve to cap the pipe ..i.e. isolating hot water supply so you don't get wet.. a bit of a more permanent solution though.
  • shandypants5
    shandypants5 Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2009 at 12:33PM
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Or unscrew the red plastic tap part of the fitting, put the screw back in and tape the red plastic bit to the valve so you don't lose it.

I got a plastic type of stop end from a plumber's merchants for next to nothing that just screwed onto the existing valve (see here - last item "Blanking Plug with Washers 3/4" BSP F" ..should be able to get similar thing from local plumber's merchants as i bought it as part of a bigger order qualifying for free postage)

The type you've linked to mike requires removal of the existing valve to cap the pipe ..i.e. isolating hot water supply so you don't get wet.. a bit of a more permanent solution though.

All good advice.

But if you want a true MSE cap for the end, just use the old hot hose from your old washing machine but put a 10p coin behind the rubber washer before you screw it onto the fitting.
    (54p saved. yay.:beer:)

I have done this a few times to temporarily fix a leak untill I can get hold of parts to fix properly.
    It handy for when you get an old tap that wont turn off completely.
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have had a cold fill only dishwasher for 12 years but plumbed in to the hot water system.

Still working O K
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • shandypants5
    Options
    ariba10 wrote: »
    We have had a cold fill only dishwasher for 12 years but plumbed in to the hot water system.

Still working O K

But....

How do you do a cool wash?:confused:
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • The_Plush_Doormat
    Options
    But....

How do you do a cool wash?:confused:

Dishwashers don't have cool washes. They have a cold rinse, which, in my opinion, is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike :)
    We could all learn a little something from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure