We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

I want to grow my own chestnuts.

Options
How long does it take for a sweet chestnut tree to bear fruit? I'd love to be able to grow my own but does it take years?

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to this question, but as someone who likes to go chestnutting in the autumn, I can say that the trees seem to be really big and perhaps more suited to woods & parkland rather than back gardens unless you have a very large back garden. The ones I gathered chestnuts from ths last couple of years were certainly huge, like horse chestnut tree size.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends where you are. Without location info, we just guess at answers here.
    That's a hint to everyone; no one will stalk you if you put a county after your name!:rolleyes:

I'd say if you are in the warmer southern counties, like I am, then you have a chance, but you'll be looking at a decade or more to see any result. Would it be worth the hassle? Even where I am now, in Mid Devon, the yields have been poor this season. I didn't see anything worth collecting.

I know that in most previous years, trees near Dawlish, close to sea level, have had reasonable crops, but I didn't visit them in 2009. TBH that's what I'll do in future years; drive 30 miles south and collect the free ones!;)
  • horsechestnut
    Options
    I think that you are looking at 20 years plus before getting anything.
    I get mine from the local park and the crop varies from year to year. The ones grown here are always smaller than the ones you buy in the shops; probably because of our cooler climate.
    As other posters have said, it depends on the area of the country in which you live. I am north west, which has a mild climate.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I planted some sweet chestnuts two years ago & am pretty surprised at the way they've grown. It's quite harsh here but they have grown about 18 inches from seed. Friends have quite a tallish tree & that's only been in 12 years. Don't think it's fruited though.
    You will need room as they make a huge tree eventually.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    You will need room as they make a huge tree eventually.

That's a very good point, which I should have mentioned, along with the fact that where I collect, I'm harvesting from dozens of trees. OK that is shared with other people, but it's still far more than any of us could grow individually.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2009 at 3:52PM
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to make do with buying them, can't think that I'll want to be out collecting chestnuts in 20 years time. Although I could plant one for the next generation. My father planted a walnut tree probably 25 -30 years ago and this is the first year I've gathered any nuts, the squirrels have always beaten me to it. Could be something to do with the dog chasing them, I suppose!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure