Teaching AND Exam marking.

Just wondering who does this and whether they find it manageable.

I'm in my 2nd year of teaching, doing an MA in Education and am launching Psychology at school this year. But I could really do with extra cash. So I was thinking about exam marking.

I did it for ETS for the SAT's during the big !!!! up just prior to being scrapped. I found it manageable if not a little laborious. My circumstances have changed since then though.

I was training then, now I'm full time teaching. I lived with DH full time, but now I don't see him Monday - Friday (he's doing his PhD away from home).

I could do with the extra cash but am worried I might spread myself too thin.
Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
% of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
MFiT-T6 #5
MFW 2024 #6
MF Date: Oct 37 May 37

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    might be worth you posting on the TES forums?

i'm in my nqt year so marking isnt a consideration for me at the moment. The biggest complaint from colleagues who do it is the way it totally takes over your life for those few weeks.

you teach science don't you? have you thought about tutoring as a means of bringing in income?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah I have posted on TES but know there are quite a few teachers on here also. People on here tend to give a more balanced argument I've found...

I don't want a year round commitment. I don't have a life Mon - Fri with DH being away, so thats why I was thinking of exam marking. I have a 40 min journey each way to school and back and the idea of then going out again to tutor horrifies me. I couldn't do it at my home because it's not suitable (DIY disaster).

So I would ideally like something that would allow me to work from home.
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Twinkle
    I too would be interested in this, the May yr 6/2 SATs are the next up, but I'm not sure how to get onto their marking schedule. I spoke to someone last year (a fellow teacher) who told me both her and her husband marked SATs and other exams and made a nice little packet during a couple of weeks, very concentrated work but worth it financially. Let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same.
  • twinklie
    I will Annie...thanks.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • MissKay
    MissKay Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi! :hello:

I have worked as a GCSE examiner for AQA for a few years. Hand on heart? I'm giving up. The turn-around times are getting shorter and I have felt just TOO pressured the last couple of times I did it. 300 scripts in a fortnight has been getting too difficult. I found it took me a lot longer than they said to mark the papers and there was a fair chunk of admin too. It used to pay for my holiday every year but it completely ruins two weeks of my life every year too so ... meh.

Having said all of that, it is unbelievably good professional development. I think all GCSE teachers should have to mark at least once. Also, it's only become unbearably hard since I had my kids - it's really not easy to fit in around two small children. The money is mighty useful too and if I was in a position where I needed the money to clear debt or keep a roof over my head then I would do it again.

Hope that helps! :D
    That money talks - I can't deny,
    I heard it once - it said 'goodbye'!
  • twinklie
    Thanks MissKay. It does help. I'm in a position where I create extra work for myself most nights Mon-Thurs because DH isn't here and I can't always afford/be bothered to go and see people.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining that I currently have a luxury of time - but compared to people with children or other people to think about at home I'm pretty lucky.

I am contemplating doing it for OCR at the moment because that's what we teach at school. However, do you think it's worth me applying for AQA? Just in case I get on OCR...not really sure what appropriate in these circumstances.
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    Definitely is a big commitment. I do a GCSE and an A Level with a week's break in between. A Level is actually easier to mark because it is less faffy! It is pressurised, it does take over your life etc. However, it is all about planning - eg get up an hour earlier and fit a few in. Use your lunch break, free periods etc to fit in another few. It's all about knocking them off! Weekends though are when it all really gets done. AQA are grand to mark for although they are moving to all on screen marking which I don't fancy at all.
    Avoid EDEXCEL at all costs. They are a complete nightmare to work for. You can also understand when you're marking for EDEXCEL why it is the preferred exam board for weaker pupils.
  • twinklie
    Can you mark A level even if you've never taught it. Lots of people have said it's easier but I can't see them taking you on if you've never taught it.

I get home about 4.30/5pm most days and could pretty much mark from then till about 8 or 9 with a break for tea and a drink every now and again. If it's just one or two weekends I could always take some with me.

I didn't think you were allowed to take them into school....
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    twinklie wrote: »
    Can you mark A level even if you've never taught it. Lots of people have said it's easier but I can't see them taking you on if you've never taught it.

Suppose it might depend on subject. Have a look at vacancy lists on AQA or OCR's website. I think a degree's the most important thing to be honest.

twinklie wrote: »
    I didn't think you were allowed to take them into school....

I won't tell if you don't tell! Just don't lose them!
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I SATs mark - will be my 3rd year doing it but it's getting harder to get into as the KS3 markers moved down into KS2 when their tests were abolished. I juggle it fine along with supply teaching but personally wouldn't want to do it while doing full-time.

It works fine if you've got the ability to bang out the bulk of the allocation during half term week - but when you're waiting for standardization feedback and the postal service etc things get slowed down and then you end up chasing deadlines.

Edexcel are contracted to do it again this year if you're wanting to chase that avenue up.

350 reports on trainers was a tad mind-breaking though... least Pip Davenport was fun with some of the things he got up to!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure