Can You Haggle at DFS?

Options
Has anyone ever managed to get a discount on a DFS sofa by paying cash versus the 4 years free credit?

Comments

• delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    Berisford wrote: »
    Has anyone ever managed to get a discount on a DFS sofa by paying cash versus the 4 years free credit?

I'd like to know the answer to this too :D
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd imagine they get paid commission on the interest free credit deals, so cash probably wouldn't be an incentive to discount...?

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • *Scarlett
    *Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    When I was working at a well known retailer (since gone bust!) IFC was an incentive for customers but not for the retailer. The retailer was paying the finance company for this and would be factored into the price so less discount could be applied to the order.

It's true that sales people will get extra commission if someone opens a credit account to pay for something but not on 0% as far as I know.

No harm asking for a discount. It's a very competitive market.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    If they discount and item that is interest free for a cash purchaser, then it isn't interest free!
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • phead
    phead Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Berisford wrote: »

Yes thats quite normal.

For £1000 sofa interest free over 4 years, the shop will only get a proportion of that from the loan company, perhaps £750-£850 (it varies with what the commercial interest rates are). I would go for about 20% off for cash, a little less with credit card (which you should be using for a large purchase like this)
  • Berisford
    Options
    Well, I gave it my best shot today, £1600 worth and they wouldn't budge!

Waffled on about regulations and how their hands were tied by legislation relating to the interest free offer wording and how it wouldn't be fair to people paying the 'full' price.

Jerks.
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They didn't budge for me either, tried to get a discount in 2008 and was told that it made no difference to DFS how I paid because the IFC amount is paid to them immediately. I think I had been watching too many consumer tv programmes because I expected to get something off....but nothing.....not even a free cushion! They even had the cheek to try adding stain-away(?) without asking me, I only noticed because the chip and pin machine had a different amount on it!
  • Fred.Ed
    Fred.Ed Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I tried on several occasions with different assistants, tried different stores too and didn't have any joy with any of them! I've never met anyone who had any success getting any discount for cash. Good luck!
  • Whiteknight
    Options
    When I worked for a large furniture store the manager was the only person who could authorise a discount and even that was only 5% (anything more needed to be authorise by an area manager).

It would be unlikely that they would want to get into a long discussion with customers at this time of year as generally you are not the only person in the store looking to buy so the sales assistant can't afford to waste time with someone who is trying to haggle for a better deal when there are other customers walking around the store who will pay full price.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    As I said in an earlier post if they discount interest free products then it makes a mockery of interest free.
    There high sales volume probably depends on the interest free con (ie. you don't get anything for nothing).
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family