PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas eve - What are you cooking today?

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I cooked past in pesto for lunch and I've just made 2 dozen mince pies which are :drool: and thats all I'm cooking today :D Take away for tea ;)

Tomorrow there's only me and DD so its a small roast dinner with Xmas pudding. Tonight when she's gone to bed I'll sit and write out all the times and way that things have to be cooked (mostly frozen or pre-prepared stuff ;) I can't make roast potatoes to save my life :confused: ) then I can plan it all out like I did last year :D DD will probably want to help me out which is why I write it all down ;):rotfl: I don't make too big a meal as we'll be off to my parents in the afternoon usually, also DD is going away on Boxing day so I don't want too many leftovers :rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

• (PS - I thought poppyglos meant to soak the swede in clothes washing up liquid for a sec there...doh!!)

me too!! lol

i've also now prepped the turkey so it is ready to go straight in the oven tomorrow.. shoved bacon and butter under the skin, onions and bayleaves in the cavity

ive cooked the beef with some shallots so they are yummy as well. sausage rolls still to do.... plus all the housework :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I have been working this morning till 12:00. This afternoon I have made 24 mince pies, a trifle (except the cream, which will go on tomorrow before serving), and a chocolate meringue semi-freddo. Now I feel yukkie as I don't really like sweet things very much. We will go to see our elderly neighbours in a minute, taking them a christmas present - and that means we will all have drinks together. Depending on how long that takes and how much nibbles we eat (we might even stay for dinner), I will decide what to cook: planning a chickpea-chorizo stew, but if we are half-full already it will just be cheese & biscuits and a chicory salad or something.
    Most things are done for tomorrow, but either me or DH (or our guests) will still have to negotiate the vegetable plot for picking sprouts and digging parsnips prior to the meal!
    And I have no idea how long to roast a capon for (first time), but I'll pick my neighbour's brains on that as he does one every year.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • We're throwing a party tonight so this is my menu:

• HM garlic bread
    • HM Old Spot, cranberry and port pate on pitta toast
    • HM pigs in blankets
    • HM spiced nuts
    • various Indian and Chinese nibbles
    • crisps, twiglets, etc
    • smoked salmon on HM granary bread
    • celery and stilton sticks
    • cheese board with crackers
    • HM mince pies
    • HM Christmas cake
    • HM chocolate truffles
    • wine, beer, J2O, mulled cider :beer:
    We're having Christmas Dinner with friends, so DH and I are providing HG roasted roots, HG sprouts, HM Christmas puddign (made in November). We're cookign a small turkey, so that we'll have leftovers for the rest of the week :j

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • well i've made my trifle (choped the swiss rolls and set the jelly over and thro them) and will add my ready made posh custard later, cream goes on before we eat main course and flake crumbled on just before serving. yum!!

and have a shepherds pie in the oven for dinner this evening also cheated and pud will be waitrose reduced choc eclairs!! gotta love crazy price drops :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We've got 15p mackerel fillets from Tesco with reduced stir fry vegetables and noodles.

Then fillet steak with chips tomorrow and the Kelly Bronze turkey with ALL the trimmings and a bit more on Saturday :D

I love Christmas!!
  • julieq
    julieq Posts: 2,603 Forumite
    Cooking sherry opened, that's quite enough exertion for Christmas Eve.
  • I made 3 dozen mince pies.

Family emergency means we're not having Xmas dinner etc tomorrow, so no other prep.

Can't face cooking anything, so I think cheese and crackers will suffice for tea.

PGxx
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    we had ham eggs and chips and beans
  • dreamyd
    dreamyd Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is where I'm at right now.
    3 bird roast doing its stuff in the oven
    Pigs in blankets in there also
    All veg peeled and prepped in the fridge
    Cranberry sauce done (thanks Delia )
    Need to decorate table, parboil veg, get dessert out of freezer, make truffles for pigging out on tomorrow afternoon.
    I'm about as organised as I'm likely to be . Merry Christmas everyone!
    Surviving the ups and downs of life with DH
    RIP Garden Tiger January 2007 - May 2022
    Weight loss 20.5/124lbs
    MF since 12/18

Fashion on the Ration 2022 53/66 coupons remaining
    2022 Decluttering challenge 300/2022 items banished

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income