Replacement Combi

Options
Replacing an old combi Sime with a Vaillant..

Got two quotes, 1500 and 1600, both fair.

Called British Gas, 3989!!! :rotfl::rotfl: Seriously??? Thought I'd share that with you! They said they would give 350 off that if I accepted it... Haha!

Either way, the other quotes are reasonable for a Vaillant Eco Plus 31 I think.

Comments

• mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I'd say is get some reviews/opinons on the boiler before you buy. We bought a Vaillant a few years back and the valves kept wearing down requiring engineers to come out and replace - twice in 14-18 months. It could just have been the model we bought (sorry can't remember which it was as we moved) but apparently it was quite a common problem with them. Put me off Vaillant for life tbh (although i know they've got a widespread reputation)
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Is it a like for like quotation?

Is the current boiler a condensating boiler?

Is there a 22mm gas feed to the boiler?

The quotes that you have, were these given over the phone or has a survey been carried out?

Is the fitter Gas Safe registered?

What guarantee are you getting?
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Considering the price of the boiler,those quotes sound too cheap..

http://boiler-sales.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=219
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • sandhu40
    sandhu40 Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2010 at 1:10AM
    Options
    On the limited information available:

You can buy a Vaillant boiler for around £800. Someone in the trade would definately save around 10-20% on the above price.

If it is a straight swap it's possible you are being charged around £750 for 8 hours work.

I have allowed £50 for materials ie replacement TRV's, inhibitor, cleanser and fittings.

We have installed full central heating systems in properties in London for £1700 -seven radiators and boiler supplied and fitted. It is two days work for 2 guys working at a decent pace.

I would get a better quote if I were you.

Let us know how you get on.

There is lots of information here: www.newboiler.co.uk - you can build your own online quote and compare to other quotes.

sandhu40
  • arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thats way too cheap for a correct job and too expense for a quick swop , no cleaning , no trvs , and non registered guy .

have they got liability insurance ?

and vaillant have had a few problems on their ecotec range considering they are supposed to be the best , what is the correct model no on your quote ?
    Arf :think:
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    sandhu40 wrote: »
    You can buy a Vaillant boiler for around £800. Someone in the trade would definately save around 10-20% on the above price.

I'm in the trade if we take your middle price of 15% off please can you tell me where I can get an ecotec plus 831 and flue for £680??

I'll have 20 at that price please;)
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • heating-eng
    Options
    EkPosh wrote: »
    Replacing an old combi Sime with a Vaillant..

Got two quotes, 1500 and 1600, both fair.

Called British Gas, 3989!!! :rotfl::rotfl: Seriously??? Thought I'd share that with you! They said they would give 350 off that if I accepted it... Haha!

Either way, the other quotes are reasonable for a Vaillant Eco Plus 31 I think.

sounds about right to me ..
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport