🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

leaving the heating on

Options
Can someone offer some advice, please? Me and the Missus are off to somewhere much warmer for the next two weeks. Would it be advisable to leave the central heating on at say 15 degrees just to keep the house from freezing or will it be ok to leave it off completely, turn the water off and drain the pipes etc. Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would not turn it off, there might be a holiday mode on your thermostat control depending on type of control you have that try to maintain a temp of around 5degc to prevent freezing
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2009 at 6:43PM
    Options
    I agree don't turn it off. Leave it on tick-over. The main problem is that once heat leaves the fabric of the building it takes eons to get it back in again.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I leave mine on but only at 10 or 12 just to stop the house from getting too cold.
    The year I didn't it took days to get the heat back in to the walls and make the house feel warm.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • sparky883
    Options
    its called frost protection mode usually marked with a * "Drain the pipes" Did you say 2 weeks or 2 years?
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport