Electric re-wire: What qualifications to seek?

Options
Hi,

I am thinking of have my house completely re-wired, but not sure what qualifications the electrical engineer should have.

Also, once the re-wire job has been completed, should there be an official document that should be signed off, and of so what is this called?

Thanks

Comments

• baldelectrician
    Options
    hi

You will need a BS 7671 Electrical Installation Certificate for a rewire.

If you live in England or Wales there is the Part P sham operating where you have to pay the council for the provelage of letting them know you are carrying out certain works (classed as notifiable)

You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals registered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/Sear...struction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    It's notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regulations (in England and Wales), so you need someone who is registered with one of the Part P schemes. See baldelectricians "Competent Persons" link for details of how to check. Once done, the electrician will notify your Local Authority Building Control dept, via his scheme provider. He will give them an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) and they will send you a completion certificate confirming compliance with the Building Regulations.

Typical costs here;

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/wiring.html
  • ahfh1
    ahfh1 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

So am I right in saying that the steps I should take are:

1. Find a Part P qualified electrician to do a re-wire, and check that he is a competent person.
    2. Before the re-wire, I should contact the council to notify them that Part P work in the property will be carried out
    3. Once the electrician has done the job then he should provide me with a signed off BS 7671 Electrical Installation Certificate

Cheers
  • ahfh1
    ahfh1 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    zax47 wrote: »
    It's notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regulations (in England and Wales), so you need someone who is registered with one of the Part P schemes. See baldelectricians "Competent Persons" link for details of how to check. Once done, the electrician will notify your Local Authority Building Control dept, via his scheme provider. He will give them an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) and they will send you a completion certificate confirming compliance with the Building Regulations.

Typical costs here;

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/wiring.html

Looks like you answered as I was typing my questions!

Thanks!
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    ahfh1 wrote: »
    Thanks.

1. Find a Part P qualified electrician to do a re-wire, and check that he is a competent person.

Yes, but you don't need to do both. If he is registered with one of the Part P "competent person" schemes then that's all that matters. He will have had to provide evidence of his qualifications and passed an annual inspection by the scheme provider before being allowed to register. There are lots of perfectly qualified (to BS7671:2008, 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations) and time-served, fully competent electricians who choose NOT to register with a Part P (scam) scheme, and either do not do notifiable work or pay a much larger fee directly to the local council to notify each notifiable job.

Get 3 quotes for comparison.
    2. Before the re-wire, I should contact the council to notify them that Part P work in the property will be carried out

No, he does that via his Part P scheme - if you do it directly it will cost you £150+. He gets charged less than a fiver admin fee by his scheme provider!
    3. Once the electrician has done the job then he should provide me with a signed off BS 7671 Electrical Installation Certificate

Yes, He will also provide it to the Council (via his scheme provider), they will send you a Completion Certificate, confirming compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations.
  • mjkeeley
    Options
    ahfh1 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Cheers
    the electrician should notify the local council on completion ,I do all my notifications through the NICEIC.
  • mjkeeley
    Options
    The electrician should notify the local council on completion,I do all my notifications through the NICEIC .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure