We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

12 days

Hiya

Have just stumbled on this, have been using the other forum, but this is full of fab information!!
I am in the process of reclaiming PPI on behalf of my mum who seems to have PPI on almost all accounts! the thing is, she's 66, has had long term illnesses since 1993 and has been on LTS from then until 2003 when she retired! many reasons for misselling?

I have written the inital letter to most concerned as I had the account details and surprise, surprise have had the standard 'you ticked the box' letter back from those who have replied so far.
Following advice I have now requested copies of the original agreement - am I right in thinking that they only have 12 days to supply this? If they fail to supply it, what can I do?

from reading the others posts, I guess my next step (whether they supply the agreement or not) is to write again, asking them to reconsider their decision based on the facts as above? I also have proof of my mum's illness through a Dr's letter to confirm the length of illness - would this help??

I think we are talking several thousand here across several creditors so any advice would be helpful, and sorry for going on!!!

xxx
Pay off as much as you can in 2011: £780/£8000
Vouchers through surveys/shopandscan: £10/£250
Ebay/Paypal target for 2011: £109/£1000

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hiya
    Hi there.

Have just stumbled on this, have been using the other forum, but this is full of fab information!!
    Yes its a fab thread in regards of PPI reclaiming etc.

I am in the process of reclaiming PPI on behalf of my mum who seems to have PPI on almost all accounts! the thing is, she's 66, has had long term illnesses since 1993 and has been on LTS from then until 2003 when she retired! many reasons for misselling?
    She defo has a good case then to reclaim on this.

I have written the inital letter to most concerned as I had the account details and surprise, surprise have had the standard 'you ticked the box' letter back from those who have replied so far.
    Do not worry about this, this is totally standard of these, many have assumed it was an all in one thing with the ppi in with the loan.

Following advice I have now requested copies of the original agreement - am I right in thinking that they only have 12 days to supply this? If they fail to supply it, what can I do?
    Yes that is correct, have you also enclosed the £1 payment for this by postal order or cheque payment?
    If they fail to send this by 12 days, chase them up by giving them a few extra days, and tell them failure to supply this you will complain to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
    https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx
    However, if the account is no longer running, and stopped approx 5/6 years ago, they may not longer hold the information.
    But just as long as there is an account number, you can still reclaim.

from reading the others posts, I guess my next step (whether they supply the agreement or not) is to write again, asking them to reconsider their decision based on the facts as above? I also have proof of my mum's illness through a Dr's letter to confirm the length of illness - would this help??
    That will be fine, anything to help strengthern the complaint will help.

I think we are talking several thousand here across several creditors so any advice would be helpful, and sorry for going on!!!

xxx
    I bet there is a lot of money to reclaim here.
    For more info on the guidelines of reclaiming, you will find this will help you as well.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    They have 8 weeks in full to respond and always write to them by posting by recorded delivery, good luck, please keep us posted.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Hiya

xxx
    Hi, requesting the agreements under section 77/78 of the CCA is correct for the 12 days but the accounts have to still be running for them to comply with this request. If the accounts are closed (all paid up if loans) then they do not have to supply with the request but you can get them within a SAR request usually. I would just write back to them all reiterating your complaint and then if they still say they were sold fairly you would then be free to take this to the FOS if within their jurisdiction.

Good luck and don't forget to send everything recorded delivery. ;)
  • Thanks,
    the accounts so far are all still 'live', I haven't even started on the closed accounts etc yet!!!
    She is about 40k in debt, and I am determined to bring this down, I don't care if she gets the money back or it goes against the account, just means that it will be paid off quicker!!! She is on a DMP so hopefully resolved quicker!!

Thanks again xxx
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Thanks,
    the accounts so far are all still 'live', I haven't even started on the closed accounts etc yet!!!
    She is about 40k in debt, and I am determined to bring this down, I don't care if she gets the money back or it goes against the account, just means that it will be paid off quicker!!! She is on a DMP so hopefully resolved quicker!!

Thanks again xxx
    Good luck and hope you get somewhere for her;).
  • Hi

Further to my last post, I read somewhere about someone who recieved a non advised PPI on their account, ie they were not sold this by a person.
    I believe that this has happened with my mum and that she has either ticked boxes or that they were pre ticked. i am still waiting for the CCA's!!!

If it was non advised, is there still a point to persuing this as they will just say that she should have read what she was signing for? (or words to that effect!?) Or where do I go from here?

Also, on an intereste=ing note, my mum also had ADI on one of her cards? I wrote querying what this is and they stated that it was accidental death cover. They did say however that they cannot see that mum ever had this protection, even though I have 3 years of statements showing that it was deducted from her account! Do you know if this can be reclaimed at all? She has other policies which cover this, and it has been added halfway through the card repayments and stopped before the card was closed!?

Thanks everyone xx
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi

Further to my last post, I read somewhere about someone who recieved a non advised PPI on their account, ie they were not sold this by a person.
    I believe that this has happened with my mum and that she has either ticked boxes or that they were pre ticked. i am still waiting for the CCA's!!!

If it was non advised, is there still a point to persuing this as they will just say that she should have read what she was signing for? (or words to that effect!?) Or where do I go from here?

Also, on an intereste=ing note, my mum also had ADI on one of her cards? I wrote querying what this is and they stated that it was accidental death cover. They did say however that they cannot see that mum ever had this protection, even though I have 3 years of statements showing that it was deducted from her account! Do you know if this can be reclaimed at all? She has other policies which cover this, and it has been added halfway through the card repayments and stopped before the card was closed!?

Thanks everyone xx

Hi there,

I would still go for it, non advised or not, your mum still has her reasons, so keep at it.;)

How long ago did you request for the CCA's?
    With £1 postal order or cheque payment they should arrive by 12 days of request, if its over 12 days chase them up.

Just a suggestion, if you have not done this but a SAR (Subject Access Request) maybe useful in regards of all the information on the accounts, they should send everything still held on the account going back at least 5/6 years, however with one of mine I was lucky to receive info going back as from the 1990's.
    For more details on this, check the link below, but there is a payment of £10 postal order or cheque payment required for this SAR request, they have 40 days.
    If you do this then post by recorded delivery.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553

If you get any problems with receiving any info on your account, you can also contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and ask if they can help and advise you on this, here:
    https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

Good luck, please keep us posted, cheers.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.