Problems using Firefox to Post New or Reply

When I try to post a reply or new message using Firefox (3.5.3) the box for entering the message text is displayed in grey with no cursor visible.

I add some text:
"This is a test - I am having problems posting with Firefox but not with Internet Explorer"

and I get text:
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
Is this just a problem for me or for everyone?

>Posted using Internet Explorer 6

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mobeer wrote: »
    When I try to post a reply or new message using Firefox (3.5.3) the box for entering the message text is displayed in grey with no cursor visible.

I add some text:
    "This is a test - I am having problems posting with Firefox but not with Internet Explorer"

and I get text:
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
    Is this just a problem for me or for everyone?

>Posted using Internet Explorer 6

Am using latest version;- 3.0.16. and posting without problems.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have had that message randomly in the past but it has not happened for a while. I am currently using Google Chrome as a browser as had some problem with FF.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think I must be going mad - it works ok for me now
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    derrick wrote: »
    Am using latest version;- 3.0.16. and posting without problems.

The latest is 3.5.6.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • derrick
    fermi wrote: »
    The latest is 3.5.6.

Is it? I always download them when they show on my computer as auto updates, and the last one was about 10,(?) days ago and is the one I have posted!

How would I get the latest?! And is it safe/OK ?

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    derrick wrote: »
    Is it? I always download them when they show on my computer as auto updates, and the last one was about 10,(?) days ago and is the one I have posted!

How would I get the latest?! And is it safe/OK ?

Looks like you have been getting security update for the v3.0.xx series, but you should have been prompted/asked if you wanted to upgrade to the newer/faster 3.5.x series.

They have been out since JULY.

If it won't offer you an upgrade, the go to:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

and download to install.

Is it safe? Not had problem here, and I and using the 3.6 beta releases, so the 3.5.x ones should be pretty damn solid.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • derrick
    fermi wrote: »
    Looks like you have been getting security update for the v3.0.xx series, but you should have been prompted/asked if you wanted to upgrade to the newer/faster 3.5.x series.

They have been out since JULY.

If it won't offer you an upgrade, the go to:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

and download to install.

Is it safe? Not had problem here, and I and using the 3.6 beta releases, so the 3.5.x ones should be pretty damn solid.

OK, thanks, I have now downloaded the 3.5.6 version and will see how it goes.

I can't remember getting a prompt to upgrade, but I may have missed it.

• bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    I use Firefox and have been having problem loading this site for a good while now but I'm not convinced it isn't my internet connection.

Saying that though, it is the only site I have problems with!

Sometimes I can't actually open the forums at all and I almost always cannot go straight to the forums. I have to go to the main mse home page and leave it until it is completely loaded before pressing the forum button, and I can usually get in that way.

Many times I can only scroll half way down a page too.

Sometimes I just get the subject box and other times no cursor, as you describe.

Also, I have not been able to refresh the pages for months now; I've got so used to it I've stopped trying and forget I can refresh on other sites now!

Also, if I log in after reading a post (say to reply to one) I have to restart mse or I cannot post as I don't get a dialogue box.

It has stopped repeatedly telling me I have a new pm, even after I have opened and replied to said pm though, so there is hope!

It's driving me crackers tbh and if I wasn't a regular on here I wouldn't bother using it!

It literally is the only site I have problems with so goodness only knows what is happening. :confused:
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    anybody know how to (step by step) upgrade firfox to 3.6 from 2.0.14 (preinstall) on my acer aspire one running on linux linpus? plsssssssssssssssssssss
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • Hi Mobeer,

If you get the issue again, try the following workaround.

If you go in to your User CP when you log in, go to 'Edit Options' then go to the bottom of the page where it says 'Miscellaneous Options'. Change the input from Enhanced to either Standard or Basic. You should be able to post once you do this.

Kind Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport