Central Heating broken down..help?

Options
Hello

Our heating was working but a couple of radiators weren't getting hot so my OH bled all the rads. Now the heating comes on for about 30 seconds, theres a lot of banging and then it goes back off. Its not a combi boiler..any ideas? we're freezing.....

TIA

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    ellas9602 wrote: »
    Hello

Our heating was working but a couple of radiators weren't getting hot so my OH bled all the rads. Now the heating comes on for about 30 seconds, theres a lot of banging and then it goes back off. Its not a combi boiler..any ideas? we're freezing.....

TIA
    Banging = air in the boiler most probably. You should get up in the roof and make sure that the F&E tank actually has water in it. I suspect it hasn't because he's drained it out and the feed pipe is frozen so it hasn't filled up again.

Get that working and you'll have to bleed the entire system once more.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2009 at 11:28AM
    Options
    Keystone, thanks for your resonse.

We've set the pressure to 1 bar and it feeds directly from the water mains....

Edited to add..

When we switch the heating on it fires up but the pressure gage goes quickly into the red and then shuts down.
  • keystone
    Options
    Keystone, thanks for your resonse.

We've set the pressure to 1 bar and it feeds directly from the water mains....
    OK so perhaps you have a system boiler?

This
    Its not a combi boiler..any ideas?
    sort of suggested you have a conventional system. I guess that'll teach me to make assumptions particularly as I was a bit short with someone else yesterday for doing the same thing. :o

Perhaps you could describe your system / problem in more detail then please.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    Options
    Your edit suggests the expansion vessel. If it is it either needs recharging or the diaphragm needs replacing.

Cheers
  • ellas9602
    Options
    Thanks again. Would it be a job for a plumber/hesting engineer?
  • keystone
    Options
    Thanks again. Would it be a job for a plumber/hesting engineer?
    Just caught me before going out! No if it is the expansion vessel then it can be pumped up again using a vehicle type pump. Check your manual for pressure required. It has a valve just like your car tyre.

However it could be other things like diverter valve passing DHW at mains pressure into the sealed CH side but its difficult to tell remotely without more knowledge of exactly what you have. We could go on like this all day and solve it or go on all day and get nowhere as there have been gaps between posts . Its nearly 12.00 now and you'll want to be warm this evening. Perhaps you should be calling someone out to physically look at it.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure