Need to change current a/c after 9 yrs w B'rclys

Options
Hello

I've been with Barclays for 9 years now but due to a new year's resolution to get myself the best deal on all financial products as well as a number of problems/unsatisfactory products and service I've received over this time I think it's time to let go and move on.

I have had a search on the money supermarket site but I don't seem to get a comprehensive analysis of the various offerings of other providers. I will keep doing my research on that site as well as google and of course this site.

I'm hoping that doing such research together with obtaining your recommendations I should be able to make an informed decision once and for all as I don't like to switch current accounts too often

I am primarily looking for

1. Low interest charges on an overdraft - prefereably 0% on £500 or so. At the moment each time I go overdrawn (authorised) a charge of approx £3 is instantly made. I don't know what the rate is because the customer service rep said that information does not show on her screen ::)
2. Customer services who know their products so I don't get given blatantly incorrect information. (I noticed that since Barclays introduced one central call centre for telephone queries and restricted phone access to the branches things went downhill as far as customer service is concerned)
3. A decent interest rate on my credit balance
4. Internet banking

Any recommendations and thoughts would be considered and greatly appreciated.

I am also reading Martin's book for efficiency savings in other areas.
The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.

Comments

• Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although not the very very best out there for interest rates ( I think Alliance & Leicester or Lloyds TSB (intro offer only) get that crown) I'd really recommend FirstDirect.

You seem to value customer service very highly and they always score amoung the best along with Smile (part of the Co-operative Bank).

First Direct interest on Current Accounts is OK and they have savings accounts where you can do instant transfers online.

Being part of HSBC you also get to use their branches for paying in and other services if you still prefer access to a branch.

Good luck.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Milky_Mocha
    Milky_Mocha Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Rafter

That's v useful. Time appreciated
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • carl310166
    Options
    I am thinking of changing from Barclays also.

Since finding this site,in the last two weeks i have,

Got an Egg card.

Opened an A+L savings account.

Gone through my finances with a fine tooth comb,and my copy of The Money Diet hasn't even arrived yet!

But the scary thing is changing current account.Ii have decided on the A+L premier plus,they have an account switcher service.

Has anybody had problems with switching accounts.with A+L or any other bank?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would recommend First direct. They have all the services you require. I switched effortlessly ( they did all the work ) 6 months ago and have had no cause for complaint.
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax

Maybe not perfect, but my preferred bank.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    smile

Great service
    Decent interest rates
    Best internet site (I use cahoot, FD and IF too & these don't come close for useability)
    Ethical stance
    Ethical moneysaver
  • garysletters
    Options
    Carl, and anyone else....
    DO NOT USE the A+L switching service for direct debits/standing orders.
    There is another thread on this topic somewhere, I'm about to add too it so it should be near the top if you read this soon after I type it.

Lots and lots of complaints!!!!!!!
    Anything I write is based on my opinion only. Before acting upon any advice from anyone on a forum further professional advice should be sought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure