PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

christmas eve dinner/tea

Comments

• Our local Chinese is giving away a free bottle of wine with every order on Xmas Eve, and free delivery. So I'm having my fave Veggie duck Curry (extra hot) with steamed rice.
  • we have everyone coming to us this christmas arriving the day before christmas eve. We have a dd aged 3 so i decided i would rather play with her on christmas day then be stuck in the kichen so this is our plan

Christmas eve - takeaway fish and chips
    christmas day - buffee that will go out on the table at lunch time and will stay for tea in the evening am going to buy lots of lovley cheeses cold meats party platter thing - aming for it to look like the iceland advert!!!!
    boxing day turkey and all the trimmings
  • Jadek
    Jadek Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kandipandi wrote: »
    I once offered a builder a ham and peas pudding sandwich and he was bewildered as he had never heard of peas pudding, he went to the shop on the way home and took about £4 worth home for his mum! :rotfl:

There's been a can of pease pudding sitting in my mum's cupboard for pretty much as long as I can remember, it even survived the kitchen being redone a couple of years ago. I don't know why it's there or if it'll ever be eaten but I'm far too scared to open it! Guess I'm missing out, perhaps not if it's years old though....
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We always have steak, salad, mushrooms and chips

When it's just been hubby and I that's what we've done, with a JP instead of chips.

This year my mum is doing a 'treat' meal for me as she's missing my birthday and it's a 'big one', roast ribs of beef with all the etc etc. I'm not cooking Christmas dinner either :D
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    I'll only be seeing OH for a couple of hours in the evening on xmas day so we're having a little party on xmas eve. We've got some of the M&S party food packs and I've got some prawns I'll do something with, I'll make some salad, there'll be homemade chocs and mulled wine.....we'll probably end up with enough to feed a small army.....I always make waaaaay too much!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The tradition in Rome is to have deep fried veg and fish (chunks of carrots, broccoli, cauliflowers and morsels of white fish in batter). Now that I no longer eat fish I shall probably just do the deep fried veg. We love eating them on the go, me at the cooker, frying and picking and the rest of the family at the table, dipping the hot morsels in chilli vinegar (little bowl of vinegar with chopped chilli inside). The chilli vinegar is NOT a Roman tradition but a friend of mine showed me and we have had it ever since, I think it is a Portuguese thing.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Som gr8 ideas here thankyou, think im gonna settle on coca cola ham with fresh breadcakes , dips, crips,sausage rolls hm, hm mince pies and a glass of sherry ! lol easy and quick and hardly any pots
  • Emuchops
    Emuchops Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I like to have something fishy on Christmas Eve so seafood pasta for us - its a good contrast to the full roast type dinner on Christmas Dayand its quick and easy. Also with posh pasta and seafood it seems quite "special"
  • kymbogs
    kymbogs Posts: 538 Forumite
    We've got the inlaws coming on Christmas Eve, my own fault as I suggested months ago that we'd all go for a pub meal but now can't afford it!
    I originally thought buffet but don't want to spend all day sorting out fiddly bits and bobs so I've decided to do spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread. In fact I'm going to make the meatballs today and freeze them. Might be cheeky and ask them to bring pud!
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    on jamie oliver last night he made a winter coleslaw. ican't remember it excatly but it was red and white cabbage, onions, yoghurt and lots of other bits i think. it was served with jacket spud and gammon. looked really simple yet devine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure