PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

christmas eve dinner/tea

Options
Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
x

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quiche, new potatoes and salad?
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thick meaty one pot soup and garlic bread?
    Val.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We're having gammom, new pots and salad, and for the vegies a creamy quorn pie
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Peartree
    Options
    Help yourself salads, cold meats, cheeses, pate and posh bread - home-made or bought in? That can be quite hearty if you do a warm potato salad, for example, Add to the Xmas lunch leftovers the next day for another buffet tea so nothing gets wasted. The supermarkets have lots of their 'buffet' items like mini quiches and the like on offer at the moment too.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Being from Liverpool, I'd do lovely, hot, filling scouse with herby dumplings (cooked in the Slow Cooker) served with pickled red cabbage and beetroot :drool:.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Crikey, I'm off to Olliebeak's for my Christmas Eve dinner. Lovely stuff!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    We always have steak, salad, mushrooms and chips
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    owens3116 wrote: »
    Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
    x

We usually throw a party on Christmas Eve, but if it's just the family, I cook salmon. Tesco have whole salmon on offer atm, so that would be impressive :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • wendyphant
    wendyphant Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    We went to lidl and they had a fish terrine which was layered potatoe salmon haddock and cod looks lush so we are having that and some part baked rolls warm when we get in from church at 6 nice and warm but light too.

BTW was only £5 and looks more than big enough for the 5 of us x x
    :happyhear YUMMY MUMMY TO HENRY BEAR AGED 10:happyhear
    slimming world need to get back to target 25lb to go
    Disney World here we come May 2018:j
  • twinkle_star_2
    Options
    Before I went veggie I always did a veggie dish on Christmas eve to allow for meaty feast on Christmas day. Obviously it's Christmas so it has to be a bit luxurious and special so we usually had an amazing mushroom pie made with fancy mushrooms, leeks, sherry, creme fraiche and chestnuts accompanied by nutty stuffed red onions. Yum!

This year I'll probably do a similar mushroom pie but minus the cream and maybe with some nice ale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure