New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

christmas eve dinner/tea

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
41 replies 8.4K views
Bella79Bella79 Forumite
1.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
x

Replies

• GigervampGigervamp Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quiche, new potatoes and salad?
  • Thick meaty one pot soup and garlic bread?
    Val.
  • gizmo111gizmo111 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're having gammom, new pots and salad, and for the vegies a creamy quorn pie
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Help yourself salads, cold meats, cheeses, pate and posh bread - home-made or bought in? That can be quite hearty if you do a warm potato salad, for example, Add to the Xmas lunch leftovers the next day for another buffet tea so nothing gets wasted. The supermarkets have lots of their 'buffet' items like mini quiches and the like on offer at the moment too.
  • Being from Liverpool, I'd do lovely, hot, filling scouse with herby dumplings (cooked in the Slow Cooker) served with pickled red cabbage and beetroot :drool:.
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crikey, I'm off to Olliebeak's for my Christmas Eve dinner. Lovely stuff!
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    We always have steak, salad, mushrooms and chips
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    owens3116 wrote: »
    Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
    x

We usually throw a party on Christmas Eve, but if it's just the family, I cook salmon. Tesco have whole salmon on offer atm, so that would be impressive :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • We went to lidl and they had a fish terrine which was layered potatoe salmon haddock and cod looks lush so we are having that and some part baked rolls warm when we get in from church at 6 nice and warm but light too.

BTW was only £5 and looks more than big enough for the 5 of us x x
    :happyhear YUMMY MUMMY TO HENRY BEAR AGED 10:happyhear
    slimming world need to get back to target 25lb to go
    Disney World here we come May 2018:j
  • Before I went veggie I always did a veggie dish on Christmas eve to allow for meaty feast on Christmas day. Obviously it's Christmas so it has to be a bit luxurious and special so we usually had an amazing mushroom pie made with fancy mushrooms, leeks, sherry, creme fraiche and chestnuts accompanied by nutty stuffed red onions. Yum!

This year I'll probably do a similar mushroom pie but minus the cream and maybe with some nice ale.