Curtain Poles?

Options
I've managed to decorate my lounge thanks to some free paint from freecycle and I've got some lovely tab-top curtains from a charity shop but I don't have the poles to hang them with - Anyone got a cheap solution, my windows are 8ft wide and I have 2 which makes shop bought poles expensive!Christmas has left my wallet almost empty so I am trying to come up with a diy answer!:o

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    have you looked on ebay
  • Madmonk
    Madmonk Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Yep and put a wanted on freecycle, I just wondered if anyone had an artistic but cheap solution?

MM
  • garfield413
    Options
    Hi - I bought mine from Ikea as my windows are massive too. Cheap as chips and cost less than getting something off the web (or anywhere else I've found)
    :hello:On mortgage pay off countdown. Less than 8 years to go. :j Won £50 Amazon voucher for filling in a survey, £100 shopping voucher, £20 Odeon voucher, £20 bowling voucher :T Doing a £2 terramundi jar challenge but everyone else seems to have the same challenge as there don't seem to be many £2 coins around!:p
  • Madmonk
    Options
    Do you know if their available on-line - our closest ikea is miles away (50+)?

MM
  • Madmonk
    Options
    I've just had a look on line and they are really cheap and would be perfect but you can't order any of them on-line arghhhh!

Good idea though garfield413

Might have to twist hubbys arm at the weekend
  • garfield413
    Options
    It's only worth doing a big trip to Ikea if there's somewhere else along the way that you want to visit otherwise the petrol would cost more than you would save.

Have you thought about checking your local B and Q or other plumber's merchants to look at pipe costs? That's essentially what curtain poles are. You should also be able to get brackets from either place.
    :hello:On mortgage pay off countdown. Less than 8 years to go. :j Won £50 Amazon voucher for filling in a survey, £100 shopping voucher, £20 Odeon voucher, £20 bowling voucher :T Doing a £2 terramundi jar challenge but everyone else seems to have the same challenge as there don't seem to be many £2 coins around!:p
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    do any shops sell 8 ft broom handles?

ps
    my long wooden pole is in 2 sections. joined in the middle with a large fixed screw inside one pole.
    Get some gorm.
  • Madmonk
    Options
    I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to have a look! Anyone know if theirs a Ikea in Oxford (have to collect DS next week so could possibly pop into Ikea then!). Thats if I can't sort something out in B&Q!

Thanks for all the ideas!

MM:cool:
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wilkinsons are pretty cheap for curtain poles. Have you got one near you?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Goto B&Q ..buy a curtain rail and a cheap lampshade..go back a week later and take the lampshade back. I did this and the guy on the till refunded me the cost of the curtain rail!:rotfl:
    Argos do some cheap curtain rails..just take the rings off and put the tabtops on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure