Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Where to Start with Care for my Grandma

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
6 replies 1.1K views
guruchellesguruchelles Forumite
159 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Hi All,

New, so apologies if this is covered somewhere else.

What's the best way to go about funding care for my Grandma?

To cut a long story short, my grandma is soon to be dischaged from hospital and we expect that it will be recommended she needs care. My mother is closer to this situation than I am, but I have offered to find out some informatin for her. It is expected that my Grandma will not need nursing care.

Now, my Grandma lives in Cornwall presently, whereas the rest of us live in Dorset. She has decided very adamently that she wants to give up the flat she owns in Cornwall and come to live near us. We think she would do best in her own flat (possibly warden controlled) with a carer coming in every day. Second choice would be a (nice) care home.

She owns her flat in Cornwall outright and she has between £10 and £20k in liquid assets (not including her diamonds, which we wouldn't want to sell). We're happy to sell the flat, but we can't help thinking that there must be a more financially savvy way of funding the care. We've considered maybe releasing some of the equity in it and then renting it out (and using its rental income to pay for rent on a flat in Dorset).

Basically, we're all tumbling around in little circles, not really knowing what (financial) provision there is out there or how best to use the money we can access.

I'd be hugely grateful for any advice or information anyone can give. Thanks so much.

Replies

• sleepless_saversleepless_saver Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at the Counsel and Care website for starters. It covers funding and also info on choosing the best place to live.

Has she had an assessment by social services? No care will be publicly funded unless she's been assessed as needing it (and depending on her income and assets not necessarily then).

I noticed that you're talking about "we" selling her flat, jewels etc. Do you/your mother actually have power of attorney that would enable you to do this if your grandmother is no longer capable of making such decisions?

Finally, best of luck, this whole area is a minefield.
  • googlergoogler Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Now, my Grandma lives in Cornwall presently, whereas the rest of us live in Dorset. She has decided very adamently that she wants to give up the flat she owns in Cornwall and come to live near us. We think she would do best in her own flat (possibly warden controlled) with a carer coming in every day. Second choice would be a (nice) care home."

So, you and the rest of the family actually looking after your Grandma, and her either moving close to you or in with you ranks third or lower....?
  • I think she means Gran is selling the Cornwall flat and will be moving into another flat in Dorset.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • edited 18 December 2009 at 10:26PM
    McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 December 2009 at 10:26PM
    Why doesnt she just sell her flat in Cornwall and buy a flat near you.

Or rent it out in Cornwall and rent a flat in Dorset for the same or less
    amount.

I think your making it too complicated.

why would you have to release equity,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Trebor16Trebor16 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your gran is still in hospital then the NHS are legally obliged to carry out an assessment to see if she is eligible for fully funded NHS continuing care. This obligation is contained with in the Delayed Discharge (Continuing Care) Directions 2009.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/SocialCare/Deliveringadultsocialcare/Continuingcare/DH_079288

Please don't be suckered in by the usual nonsence spouted by social workers that your Gran will be a self funder. The NHS have to do a continuing care assessment before they can pass her case on to social services. They will of course try to convince you otherwise, but stick to your guns and insist that they meet their legal obligations.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is expected that my Grandma will not need nursing care....She has decided very adamently that she wants to give up the flat she owns in Cornwall and come to live near us. We think she would do best in her own flat (possibly warden controlled) with a carer coming in every day. Second choice would be a (nice) care home.

You really need to get a better handle on what level of care she is likely to need.There is a huge difference cost wise between living in her own home with carers coming in and moving into full time residential care.

An assessment from the NHS and the SS is probably the way to go as you are not on the ground.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.