Painkiller Addiction

Options
Wasnt sure where to put this and whether I could but here goes.

I have been taking for over 20 years now evervescent cocodamol and it had got to the point I was taking 30 or over tablets a day.
I am now on my fourth week of cutting it down to only 8 a day but I am really struggling with what I presume are withdrawal symptoms.

I am too scared/ashamed to speak to my gp and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if/how they managed to do it.

Comments

• creased-leach
    Options
    Please, please go to your GP. My husband was taking exactly the same thing for years. It's awful stuff- he was addicted without realising it.

The paracetamol element caused liver damage- he needed major surgery to have a piece of his liver removed, which could have turned cancerous if left.

There is no need to be embarrassed- this is far more common than you realise.

Good luck.
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • sheeps68
    Options
    Well done you on taking the first stepsto tackle the issue. Your GP etc has only got to admire you for doing something about it. Get some support and you'll do it!
  • UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please, please go to your GP. My husband was taking exactly the same thing for years. It's awful stuff- he was addicted without realising it.

The paracetamol element caused liver damage- he needed major surgery to have a piece of his liver removed, which could have turned cancerous if left.

There is no need to be embarrassed- this is far more common than you realise.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply and for not judging me.
    I really feel like some sort of dodgy drug addict and thats what is stopping me from seeing the gp.
    As I said I have cut it down to the dosage I am supposed to take but am I suffering, sweats, cold sweats, snappy, unable to sleep and extremely achy body.

I have looked on the internet but cannot seem to see much about it.
  • garthdp
    garthdp Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    never mind the internet.you are suffering withdrawal.go see the doc
    garth;)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please speak to your GP - if you don't feel able to, please speak to your local pharmacist. Don't be ashamed, painkillers are no different to being addicted to nicotine in cigarettes! Eight a day is the maximum safe dose not what you are 'supposed to take', the safest dose for you is zero as the paracetamol will be damaging your liver. Your GP can prescribe you medication to relieve withdrawal and refer you for professional support to help you quit. There are also charities that will be able to advise and support you, have you thought about this avenue?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    It is a remarkably common problem - you have no need to feel ashamed. A GP is not there to judge you but to treat you!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 December 2009 at 1:11AM
    Options
    Just for info - you're definitely not alone (even on the 8 a day sticking point) and your GP can help if you can manage to talk to him/her.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-435796/The-silent-addiction-everyday-painkillers.html
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I would also suggest that the OP contacts his/her doctor for advice and support, but just wanted to say well done for cutting down so far without help. It must have been an incredibly difficult thing to do - not just recognising the problem, but having the willpower to reduce the amount taken by such a large amount. All credit to you, OP. You can beat this - you have already made a magnificent start. Your GP can give you that extra help you need.

Good luck x
  • walter_wobblebottom
    walter_wobblebottom Posts: 579 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2009 at 9:06AM
    Options
    Its the codeine thats in cocodamol that your addicted to,i speak from experience,a very good site that has pharmacist as well as fellow members trying to come off codeine/dihydrocodeine,doing it cold turkey or tapering,you are not alone.The couple in the picture in the link posted by elsien above are the ones who run the site

http://www.codeinefree.me.uk/phpBB2/index.php
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same" - Oscar Wilde
  • crutches
    crutches Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Please see the GP.You are not alone.And well done for doing so much by yourself.To cut down so much in 4 weeks takes a lot of effort and courage.Be proud of yourself :)

If you are in so much pain you NEED the cocodamol then your GP can put you onto other things and/or refer you to a pain clinic too.
    Every day above ground is a good one ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport