🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

washing machine repair man

Options
Hi,

You'll probably all think I'm a right flapper, but I just had my washer repaired and when the guy tried to push it back in the gap it stuck, so he leaned against my radiater and pushed the machine with his feet the last few inches needed to fit the machine.

Could this have done any damage to the raidator. I'm now terrified that it may have done something - it's not leaking or anything. It's just that I live alone, with a bad back and worry about every eventuality

Comments

• capita_guy
    Options
    mandy-j0 wrote: »
    Hi,

You'll probably all think I'm a right flapper, but I just had my washer repaired and when the guy tried to push it back in the gap it stuck, so he leaned against my radiater and pushed the machine with his feet the last few inches needed to fit the machine.

Could this have done any damage to the raidator. I'm now terrified that it may have done something - it's not leaking or anything. It's just that I live alone, with a bad back and worry about every eventuality

You were right then and no he should not have damaged anything.
  • cagneyfan
    Options
    Thanks Capita Guy, it was just the fact that he sat down and had the full of his back against the radiator which is just a small one and then seemed to push quite hard. I had visions of the pipes at either end snapping or something. When I first moved in another radiator started to leak and I've always been wary of them since (I had electric storage heaters in my previous flat)
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    A radiator has rigid brackets holding it to the wall. Pushing against it won't have put any strain on the pipes as the force will have been transferred through the brackets to the wall, not onto the pipes.

Olias
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i don't think he would have done any damage to the radiator, but why was the washing machine stuck in the first place?

Has he ripped up your floor? Scratched the floor, flattened something against the back wall (water pipes etc)

He should have seen what was causing the obstruction instead of using brute force!
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    Hm hm hm and how would you suggest he put the machine back in place???? with a good help of Vaseline?????......Sorry but when under worktop machines have to go back in their tight holes, the best and safer way for all is to push with the feet (spreading the load hence avoiding damage to units and person). xxx
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You have no idea whether the gap is tight or not; neither do i as the OP did not mention this.

Either way, if the OP is concerned for her radiators, then the repair man must have been using some force!!
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    ............................:cool:
  • sparky883
    Options
    I would contact trading standards,Report him to the Washing Machine Repair Governing Body,Put a claim in to his insurers,Contact the local paper and finally make him give you some sort of compenstation for your damaged radiator,Or you could just not worry about it!!! Would be dreading having to work in your house.
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • cagneyfan
    Options
    sparky883 wrote: »
    I would contact trading standards,Report him to the Washing Machine Repair Governing Body,Put a claim in to his insurers,Contact the local paper and finally make him give you some sort of compenstation for your damaged radiator,Or you could just not worry about it!!! Would be dreading having to work in your house.

Hi Sparky,

I thought your comments were a bit over the top. I wasn't complaining about the repair man, and agree with another comment about the guy distributing his weight through his feet. I would've preferred his back was against the wall rather than my radiator though (obviously not possible as the radiator is there!). I didn't explain that the gap was a tight fit for the machine, and this was of concern as I knew he may have had to use quite a bit of force. I had a radiator leak when I first moved in - just after I had my fawn colour carpet laid and the walls painted, so I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit concerned of what could possibly have happened. Maybe if you were on your own with excrutiating back pain which makes every job a lot more difficult than would otherwise be, then you'd understand.

You have no need to worry about working in my house as you're obviously the sort of person who couldn't give a monkeys about the customer paying your wage, therefore I would not want you doing any work for me.

I would just like to thank all the other helpful comments from the others. I did point out that I may be over-reacting but hopefully most people would understand the reasons. Maybe it's just me but when you're on your own things that may seem trivial to others are of more concern to someone alone who would have difficulty trying to sort out a problem. Hope I don't sound too snotty, but my back is killing me so my fuse is shorter than usual. Thanks again
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    my radiators are flimsy and pushing on them would likely push holes through the ply walls.
    the best way is to put your feet on the skirting, and push the bottom of the machine with your hands. in order to get the machine to slide without digging into the lino or scraping the tiled floor, a piece of cardboard under each foot makes the job so easy!
    and makes me look like i know what im doing!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family