Pensions Planning: The NUMBER

Options

Comments

• Rainmaker_uk
    Options
    Yes I have worked everything on todays money value. The inflation is calculated by the pension planning tool I use although to be honest I don't know what figure they give this...

For my own calcs I use 2.5% annual.

I find this future inflation calculator useful:

http://www.buyupside.com/calculators/inflationjan08.htm

For the ISAs this would equate to a fund size of circa £370k when I retire which out of the plan is going to be the hardest part I think.
  • Gatser
    Gatser Posts: 624 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Number is:

Minimum: 25,000
    Comfortable: 35,000
    Luxury: 50,000

I am aiming to do this through the following:
    Pension & AVCs - 550,000 pension pot (circa 100k lump sum and 450,000 pension pot = circa £16k pa pension (pre tax)
    ISAs - 200,000 in real terms - interest @7% = £14k pa
    Investment properties - rental yields - Circa 15k pa (pre tax)

I have not included the State Pension in this as I have serious doubts as to whether it will exist as it does today for those with private pension provision.

Thanks...
    You certainly have a good spread of both income sources and expectations...so you are prepared for a worst case situation (I agree with your fairly cautious view on %returns)

> Is your pension pot invested in cautious funds?
    > Similar for ISA's ...7% seems a good return...
    > What value of properties are needed to yield £15k?
    (I might get into this myself!)

> I have included Govt pension income in my forecasts...GULP!!
    THE NUMBER is how much you need to live comfortably: very IMPORTANT as part 1 of Retirement Planning. (Average response to my thread is £26k pa)
  • Rainmaker_uk
    Options
    I am still at the adventurous/riskier stage for the pension funds I will change this following lifesyling principles as I get closer to retirement (still some time yet!)

I agree that in the current market 7% would be unlikely but I have got to hope that by the time I retire things would have returned to more historical levels.

Regards the investment properties this is probably/hopefully quite conservative. Currently I have a single investment property that I pay on a repayment mortgage that will be cleared by retirement. So ignoring the capital value of circa £170k in todays money the current rental is £9000 pa. I intend to purchase another couple of properties over the next 2 years and also have these on a repayment mortgage. (I am aware that many would see this as a very conservative way of doing it but it is what I am comfortable with).

You mentioned 'worst case situations' that might arise - please could you expand on this? I am keen to try and build some stress test in to the retirment plan.
  • feesarefare
    Options
    Gatser wrote: »
    > I have included Govt pension income in my forecasts...GULP!!

Can you explain why you wouldnt?
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    You mentioned 'worst case situations' that might arise - please could you expand on this? I am keen to try and build some stress test in to the retirment plan.

This is well worth doing - and helps you to understand where the week points could be. Once all on a spreadsheet, I spent hours changing one variable at a time, seeing what effect that had on when I run out of money!

Inflation is a potential large issue if it gets to something like 1970's proportions (up to 27%). But provided it stays reasonable, and that interest rates/Equity income move up to match, then I found the variations tenable.

Actually, in my case, spending was the biggest factor. This is not surprising perhaps, since my retirement model is basically aimed at recording my entire income stream, and trying to spend it before we die! After 5 years, I have learned that I can live more than comfortably with the amount I assumed and provided for. [In fact I have squirrelled away over £75K of 'excess' income and lower spending.]

I built in a factor for "spending fade". I could feed in an age (say 75) after which my spending would rise by inflation, but fall by a factor of, say, 1% a year. Even that had quite a large impact on the final figures.

One 'killer' could be the need for long term care. In my own assumptions, the house value would provide a backbone for this cost. But actually a lot of the cost can be 'paid for' by making other reasonable assumptions. For example, if either of us were in care, we would not be jaunting lavishly through Europe for 2 months a year, or having other holidays. We would not be running two good cars, and a lot of 'luxury' expenditure would probably go.
  • Rainmaker_uk
    Rainmaker_uk Posts: 531 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2010 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Can you explain why you wouldnt?

There is no solid reason to not include it other than a fear that the governments habit of raiding pensions and in particular the State Pension will continue.

If it does one area that may get hit is the universality of the State Pension for those that have worked. It may become means tested and people who have another income source may be hit.

Politically very difficult to imagine however I have many years until retirement and so is more likely for me than perhaps for others who may be in their late 40s or 50s.
  • feesarefare
    Options
    I have many years until retirement and so is more likely for me than perhaps for others who may be in their late 40s or 50s.

no offence Rainmaker but thats why I asked Gatser the question.
  • Richard68
    Options
    I'm 43 years old and i have a Army pension of just 8 years, plus a Tesco's pension of 3 years not much. So where do i begin to get myself ready for retirement.
  • Gatser
    Options
    Currently I have a single investment property that I pay on a repayment mortgage that will be cleared by retirement. So ignoring the capital value of circa £170k in todays money the current rental is £9000 pa.

That's only 5.3%
    What about repair costs?
    That does not seem a great return on investment, but perhaps I am missing something?
    I think I would want around 7%+ .... with any property value increase as cream on the cake...:T
    THE NUMBER is how much you need to live comfortably: very IMPORTANT as part 1 of Retirement Planning. (Average response to my thread is £26k pa)
  • Gatser
    Options
    Can you explain why you wouldnt?(include State Pension in your pension planning)

If one was cautious and/or mistrusting of future governments management of State pensions and the means by which they will be funded.

I HAVE included some State pension... that's why I added the nervous <GULP>.... just incase I've got it all wrong.;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback