Made Redundant - What Do I Do Next?

Options
All, advice would be appreciated.

Being made redundant and last day is on 7th Jan. If I dont get a job by that date etc what do I do to sign on? Do I have to wait till that date has passed or do I start enquiring now? Who do I phone (and what number / department)?

I genuinely haven't got a clue about this, I've worked everyday since leaving school at 16 (22 years ago!). The company is not providing any support and I will not have any redundancy money when I leave as I have been there less than 2 years.

Whats my next step?

Regards

Comments

• dickydonkin
    Options
    timelord wrote: »
    All, advice would be appreciated.

Being made redundant and last day is on 7th Jan. If I dont get a job by that date etc what do I do to sign on? Do I have to wait till that date has passed or do I start enquiring now? Who do I phone (and what number / department)?

I genuinely haven't got a clue about this, I've worked everyday since leaving school at 16 (22 years ago!). The company is not providing any support and I will not have any redundancy money when I leave as I have been there less than 2 years.

Whats my next step?

Regards

Due to the Christmas holiday period, it might be wise to inform Jobseekers of your predicament as soon as possible. All of the contacts and relevant information can be found here:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

By phoning in your claim in advance you will be given an 'interview' date at your nearest JCP and you will be provided with your signing on details. Time will be saved at your 'appointment' by phoning in your details.

Obviously, you cannot receive any benefits until after your termination of contract, however, at least you will have everything in place.

If you have worked for the last two years, you should be entitled to Contribution Based JSA for 6 months. This will be paid irrespective of savings or other income you or any partner is receiving. After 6 months, the benefit is means tested and is 'income based' where other income and capital is taken into consideration.

Of course if you do get a job in the meantime, just inform the jobcentre and your claim will be cancelled, although the reality is that January is a notorious slack time for recruitment.

Good luck anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport