We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the 'greenest' type of floor?

Options
hi,

im currently doing up my kitchen and have decided to also replace the floor covering. Currently it is a vinyl laminate covering concrete but i would like to get something that is reasonably 'green'.

The kitchen is small (approx 4m2) and the actual floor space is about half that so i am not looking at huge amounts of anything.

Does anybody have any suggestions or links

thanks

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Grass ;)

It's green in both senses, a nice turfed floor would be fantastic!

Seriously - I suppose some form of wooden floor would probably be best, provided it's localish wood from a sustainable source.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    tr3mor wrote:
    Grass ;)

It's green in both senses, a nice turfed floor would be fantastic!

Not sure about that. Me thinks it might be rather heavy on water consumption. ;)
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    Bamboo! and it looks great too

edit - or you could try buffing up the concrete thats already there as that can look lovely too!
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you need a special machine to buff concrete? If so, can you hire or do you have to buy?
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    if it is farly decent already, you can fill in any large cracks/holes with concrete filler (we left ours as they added character!) and use a product called 'red tile liquid shine' which polishes and enhances the stone, and also provides a watertight seal.
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds like my sort of solution - quick and easy!
  • JenHen
    JenHen Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I have a copy of Ethical Consumer magazine from last year which has an article on environmentally/ethically friendly floor coverings. As I remember, one of the recommendations was cork flooring, which has many benefits including helping to sustain the cork industry, which is under threat because of a decline in use due to the advent of plastic wine corks amongst other things. To use it for kitchen flooring you'd need to seal it with a (low-VOC) varnish.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm doing my bathroom floor with cork tiles.

Apparently it's best to lay them on hardboard if you have floorboards underneath as the tiles can be uneven otherwise. Then seal with a waterproof varnish (Hardware shops sell one for cork tiles, looks like milk in the tin) to protect and be washable.

AFAIK, cork tiles can be laid straight onto a concrete floor as long as it is clean and smooth.
  • ktpie
    ktpie Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We did our bathroom last year with cork tiles and we are really pleased with it, it took a bit of work putting it down, we put down hardboard which we then sealed with watered down PVA, stuck down the tiles and then did about three coats of varnish.

As far as I know cork is harvested from oak trees and trees can be repeatedly harvested making it sustainable.

We also found it was one of the cheapest options!
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    warmer on your feet too than vinyl or tiles ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport