Am I liable as an Executor for a late bill.

Options
124»

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2009 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Yes - but all that does is absolve the personal representative of personal liability in his capacity of personal representative. The debts still exist until the 6/12 years is up, and are pursuable against the beneficiaries rather than the personal representative. As here they are one and the same the argument for advertising is debatable.

One argument for is that it might tease some debts out of the woodwork - ie a degree less uncertainty for the beneficiary. But total certainty isn't achievable
  • localhero
    Options
    True. I suppose tigtag can take a view on it. I think personally I would, as the notice would make it a bit harder for creditors to enforce any liabilities later down the line.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I wondered why I had heard no mention of this '2 months' deadline, but the law in Scotland may be different. Below is an extract from the Scottish Government leaflet on 'What to do after a death'

13. DISTRIBUTION OF PROPERTY AND POSSESSIONS
    A. If there is a Will
    The dead person's property and possessions will be distributed in accordance with his/her wishes, by executors, after confirmation has been obtained, subject to payment of the legal rights due to his/her spouse and children.

The executor should not distribute any of the estate to those entitled to it until a period of six months has passed since the date of the death. This is to allow persons or companies with a claim on the estate to make the claim known. After that period the executor may distribute the estate without having regard to any possible claims which have not been intimated. If any creditor or beneficiary presses for payment during the six month period a solicitor should be consulted.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    You said there's a partner - wouldn't this partner be a beneficiary - non compos mentis or no?
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, got confused between Tigtag and the OP.
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chesky369 wrote: »
    You said there's a partner - wouldn't this partner be a beneficiary - non compos mentis or no?

simply no, a partner would not be.

regards
    tt
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • minimadtrix
    minimadtrix Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Back to the OP's original question. ... Now, I'm digging into the depths of my previous working life with Housing Benefits. If the council had made the mistake, the claimant was not liable to pay back the money as it was the council's error. Would this not be the same with a dom care account? It maybe worth checking out, unless someone else on these forums knows better
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the council had made the mistake, the claimant was not liable to pay back the money as it was the council's error.
    I'm not sure that's true at all. Though many councils will not pursue claims for underpayments where it's their error, it may well vary from one area to another.
  • minimadtrix
    minimadtrix Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true at all. Though many councils will not pursue claims for underpayments where it's their error, it may well vary from one area to another.

As I said, I worked for HB a couple of years ago, so it was true at the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure