🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home phone providers and their call centres

Options
I was with a certain provider I left after a serious mistake made by someone at an overseas call centre. When I had to change bank account I phoned them to change the details for the direct debit. However unaware until I received the phone bill, they set up another account. So I was being charged on account abc for a 5 minute call say to Birmingham, UK, and was charged for the same call on the same phone on account xyz.
Twice now they promised to sort it out, and I still keep getting bills for the xyz account. Not just that, they also phone me in the evening. (Usually around 9PM). Luckily it starts with an automatic message, so I know it is that phone company. I do not answer the call as considering the time, it will be made from a call centre outside the UK. I haven't mentioned the name yet of this company as the issue is still there, I also refuse to pay the account that is valid until they sort out the other one. They told me they will take it to court, I replied I'd be happy to, so I can expose their incompetence and harrassment which actually landed me in hospital with stress. So in turn I threatened them with compensation for this stress. It has been going on now since April.

Comments

• boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really sympathise, what a mess to be in through no fault of your own. I would say, although I can see why you are refusing to pay both bills, I think it is in your own interests to pay the one of them (the correct one). Because otherwise if the issue drags on the company may escalate it, and you don't want a black mark on your credit record.

If you haven't already done so, put your complaint in writing to the head office, and send via recorded delivery as proof. Give them a set timeframe to respond (say 7 or 10 days). Say that if you do not receive a satisfactory response by then you will contact Ofcom and Consumer Direct.

If they don't get back to you or you are unhappy with their response, escalate to Ofcom and Consumer Direct. Sounds like this companies CS is rubbish and as it has already dragged on I think it's time to take things further to get some action.

Good luck, I hope they manage to get themselves sorted soon. Let us know how you get on.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've taken a guess but do tell us which company (so we can avoid).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport