B&M deals and bargains thread - post offers here

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I visited a B&M recently as I was passing to see what the fuss is about; it was a branch that was located next to a Home Bargains store in a retail park and quite a distance away from my own home.

I deal with all sorts of people, but the customers were downright odd... I have never felt less comfortable in a shop before! I won't be going back, whatever the prices are.

I know exactly what you mean - it's a peculiar sort of shop, and never seems to have anything much of interest (unlike Home bargains).

A bit like the comparison between a nice new Poundland and a jaded old Poundstretcher, perhaps.
  • kazzaw
    kazzaw Posts: 717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean - it's a peculiar sort of shop, and never seems to have anything much of interest (unlike Home bargains).

A bit like the comparison between a nice new Poundland and a jaded old Poundstretcher, perhaps.

I think it depends on the branch. I went in a couple & hated it until a brand new store opened in a small town near me & it's so different! Very tidy & excellent staff?

Went in the Meadowhell retail park branch yesterday & couldn't wait to get out - it was horrible & exactly as you described! :eek:
    :j New Year, New You = 1.5lb/12lb:j
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2012 at 11:46AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I visited a B&M recently as I was passing to see what the fuss is about; it was a branch that was located next to a Home Bargains store in a retail park and quite a distance away from my own home.

I deal with all sorts of people, but the customers were downright odd... I have never felt less comfortable in a shop before! I won't be going back, whatever the prices are.
    Doc_N wrote: »

kazzaw wrote: »
    I think it depends on the branch. I went in a couple & hated it until a brand new store opened in a small town near me & it's so different! Very tidy & excellent staff?

Went in the Meadowhell retail park branch yesterday & couldn't wait to get out - it was horrible & exactly as you described! :eek:

Don't want to sound too judgemental but...I'm going to say it anyway...If you go in cheap shops, you quite often get strange people...That's not to say everyone who goes in is strange or 'scally' as I would say, but there's more than in M&S! Got to get through it for the bargains though!

On a more serious note, I don't find B&M as reliable as Home Bargains. There are some good offers in B&M on some occasions and not others, but I can go in and come out with nothing aswell. If I go in for something in particular I'm usually disappointed. The cheap prices on food etc are usually on items out of date already or will be very soon. I'm a bit of a Diet Coke addict and go in there to get cheap 4 packs of 500ml bottles they often have. Then might find myself picking up a cheap multipack of crisps - I'm talking very cheap though, bargains like 49p multipacks that they have every now and again. :o

I find them quite good for kitchen/bathroom/storage/furniture...the bigger items.

It's worth a look if you have time but if you're lucky enough to have Home Bargains in your area I think they have more choice and are more reliable. The prices make more sense and you are more likely to come out satisfied. If you're looking for something in particular and have time to shop around, I'd price up items in both before making a decision.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I work near a B and M and a Home and Bargains, quite often my lunch time walk.
    Prefer the Chjristmas stuff at B and M at the moment. They have a greater range, loads of Christmas lights.
    Bought 3 ft fibre optic twig tree £14.99
    battery operated christmas lights with gold pearls £5.99 (To go on the mantelpiece with no trailing wires.)
    Black 2.3 mens thermal socks £2.99
    I was annoyed as the Vileda mop I paid £9.99 for last week in Taskers was £5.99 in there.

A lot of it is tat, but there are hidden gems
    Money SPENDING Expert

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    In Morrisons, there is a pack of Lindt chocolate teddy bears for about £3, but if you go to B&M, they are only 20p each. Dates are long, and the size is the same. And they taste gorgeous :D
  • glitter03
    Options
    And after Christmas they reduce them to 10p woohoo hehe :D
    :coffee:
  • cpoir
    cpoir Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a Fireman Sam colouring table yesterday for £9.99. Really pleased as this is £25 on Amazon :D
    Addicted to MSE ;)
  • paulwillhappy
    Options
    My Mate Gavin has told me me He swears by these items this time of year from B & M Bargains;

Duct Tape £1.19

Bolt Cutters £1.75

Glass Cutter £1.99

Matt Black paint Spray £1.30

Large Black Holdall £3.99

Party Mask £1.29

Boiler suit £2.99

Shoe Covers £1.50
  • scholesfan88
    Options
    Hahahaha NOT! :/
  • umme_sue
    umme_sue Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    found today
    toffee dodgers .......like the jam ones

29p each or 4 for £1
    sweetex 600 tabs for £1.49

thay also had a tin of shortbread with William and Kate on RRP £10 ish for £1.49 bbd is end of feb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure