We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Should I complain to the Council
Comments
-
In that case, it's likely that the hole was reported before you drove down it, and that being the case, it makes it more likely any claim you put in will succeed.
He told them no, he was just photographing it as my car had been damaged, and all three said that they had also reported it, and one said that the Council has sent him the forms to claim from them.Fight Crime : Shoot Back.
It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.0 -
Thank you all for your responses.
I have spoken to the Council again this afternoon, and the lady is going to send a claim form to me.
I told her how deep the hole is and told her that three other people had also said their cars had sustained some damage and that it might be beneficial to the Council to try and bump their inspection of the hole up the list a bit, to hopefully avoid any further claims against them (trying to be a good citizen!), so with a bit of luck, it'll be attended to soon.
0 -
Just to update you - the hole has been filled in this morning. Glad I got photographs before the Council acted, but very pleased that they did so as quickly as they did.
Thank you again for all your help and advice.
0 -
I take it that you don't think I should ask the Council to pay for a new tyre (which I've just been told will be £60, and may also require a new wheel if it's damaged badly enough. This is from a totally honest and reliable mechanic who won't do work unnecessarily
No, I think you should claim for the damage.This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !0 -
This happened to my niece in her Clio. She had to fork out roughly £200 for a new wheel, and tried to claim off the Council. Took photos, but claim rejected because "it was already on the list to be repaired".
This was Havering I think.0 -
It is. If it's on the list, than they knew about it. Since you then received damage from something they knew about, then they are liable. Hope you appealed.Fight Crime : Shoot Back.
It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.0 -
I have had this happen 5 times (I answer to the name of lucky!), I have reported the fault each time and have tried to claim a couple of times but IIRC, they only have to inspect the road on an annual basis, if they can prove that they have done that then anything that has happened since the accident is not deemed to be their fault. Is called a section 58 defence.
Last time I tried to claim it was only for £50 but I was so mad I wrote to them with pictures etc. and there outside claims handler wrote to me and told me that they were not liable because they had inspected the road in the last 12 months. I then wrote back and asked for a copy which they provided. I wrote another letter stating that I felt that I had goe my £50 worth out of them! On other cars i've had though tyres have cost around £170 (last one three weeks ago!).
I would try claiming, they can only say no.I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling
0 -
Several roads round where I live are in a really bad state. Potholes are getting worse.
There's quite a good video on Youtube from 5th gear regarding making claims for damage.Happy chappy0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards