arrrg kitchens... and undermounted sinks

Options
I'm having my kitchen rebuilt.... big project, and despite months of planning I have still ended up panicking over getting the kitchen in time. I'm doing everything independently of everything else, trying to source good quality but cheap. It has at times been a logistical nightmare and I think my builders just wish I'd gone with a kitchen company...! My aim is to come in cheaper than my Howdens quote (which was at trade price thanks to my builders) but with better quality.

So, just for info, my aim is to come in at under £4K, but my luxury is a granite worktop, so everything else is on a tight budget!

Here's my question:

I decided I wanted an undermounted ceramic sink, something like a belfast, but not with the front of the sink showing like you sometimes see, I want it enclosed in a cupboard, with a polished cut out in the granite. Therefore I think it needs to be smaller than the standard size belfast sink (595mm) in order to fit in an ordinary full size 600 mm (reinforced) base unit. This leaves me with a limited choice, and obviously that means not so cheap. I have found one at 400x500mm which would do the trick, but...

is it possible to just get an ordinary belfast sink, a belfast sink unit (ie, only half as high, and the sink sits on top), then attach a bar from the neighbouring units, push the sink back a cm or so and attach a door?

This would mean I could have it completely enclosed and undermounted like I want, but without having to get a less common (and more expensive) size.

sorry for waffling so much :o but I will welcome all your expertise!

Many thanks,
T
[SIZE=-4]MF date: Dec [STRIKE]2028[/STRIKE] 2019. Overpayments in 2007=£900, 2008=£1200 2009=23400[/SIZE]

Comments

• mrsheenpearl60
    Options
    it is possible yes....try giving www.sinksation.co.uk a call (biggest range) of sinks in london or www.mustardkitchens.co.uk if you need planning help

good luck carol
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    That may create a problem with the granite fit, you'd require a wider granite worktop otherwise you'll end up with two such small strips of granite front and back it's likely to be difficult/not possible to manufacture and keep intact.

Your options are:-

1. Traditional belfast/butler - with front cut oout
    2. Small belfast/butler - completely enclosed
    3. Traditional belfast butler, units packed away from the wall by a further 75mm or so and a minimum 700mm wide worktop. - completely enclosed.

Any other combination you're going to create unnecessary problems or complications.
  • temba
    temba Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
    Alan I think you are right - veering away from standard usually spells expense in the end.
    [SIZE=-4]MF date: Dec [STRIKE]2028[/STRIKE] 2019. Overpayments in 2007=£900, 2008=£1200 2009=23400[/SIZE]
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    would you not consider an insert ceramic sink, ive got a huge one and its lovely, but its in the utility
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Please don't mess about with trying to adapt stuff. If you're having granite worktop then get a proper under mounted sink, anything else will end up looking like a botch up.

This is what you need, £420 including the tap.

Good Luck.

CK
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    CKdesigner wrote: »
    Hi

Please don't mess about with trying to adapt stuff. If you're having granite worktop then get a proper under mounted sink, anything else will end up looking like a botch up.

This is what you need, £420 including the tap.

Good Luck.

CK

The image showing that basin is an overwidth worktop, minimum 650mm more likely 700mm.

You have to be careful with these larger basis that there is enough material left to allow the cut granite to be moved, to be fitted once the hole has been fabricated.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alan_M wrote: »
    The image showing that basin is an overwidth worktop, minimum 650mm more likely 700mm.

You have to be careful with these larger basis that there is enough material left to allow the cut granite to be moved, to be fitted once the hole has been fabricated.

Hi Alan

This bowl has a cut out 396 mm front to back so this is fine in a 600 mm deep worksurface.

CK
  • temba
    temba Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm not going to mess around with none standard stuff. I'm going to stick to the undermount standard ones. I'm looking at an astracast 500x400. Thanks for all the replies.
    Thanks
    T
  • R35GTR
    Options
    Look at sinks-taps.com for your astracast sinks. They also have loads more available. I have bought twice from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure