Voluntary Redundancy

Options
chrisgreaves9
chrisgreaves9 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 7 December 2009 at 8:55PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
I have recently been offered voluntary redundancy. The union I am with are fighting all redundancies on the basis that if I take the redundancy the job I was doing should not be available anymore, but it will be. I am a postman and the "walk" I do is presently is a full time duty, but will be made into a part time round when I leave. The union states that it is law that any job, once a offer is of voluntary redundancy is taken should not exist anymore. Is this right? I just want to go, but it seems the union that should be working for me is preventing me going. Any advice would be most helpful.

Comments

• Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    The union are talking crap.

The Royal mail can say they have identified that they require less staff to do the work hence some positions need to go and restructuring occur.

Technically as its a part time route it isnt the same job anyway as I am assuming that some of the tasks won't exist or at least volume.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH have is a postie who really wants a redundancy package. He feels the union are working against anyone who wants to take redundancy.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Prudent wrote: »
    My OH have is a postie who really wants a redundancy package. He feels the union are working against anyone who wants to take redundancy.

No doubt looking for another reason to strike. The postal worker union is the biggest amount of !!!!s going. They dont seem to live in the real world.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just accept the redundancy if thats what yu want, tell the union to jog on.

You wont have any need of them once your gone.

And good luck. (i wish my lot would offer me redundancy, I'd be off like a shot)

cheque in my hand - woooosh - gone.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport