🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Self Employed to Employed Tax Advice

Options
Hi All,

I started a job in June, took very long for them to actually start doing my tax for them, enfact was only sorted out in October so my 4 wages June - Sep i have not been taxed on, i assumed they would tell the tax office my earnings between that period but they haven't so was wondering what i need to do to get everything sorted.

I have records of the amounts paid and i have been saving around 20 of each wage so i can pay it back soon as.

I know the tax band is £6400 ish and my total earned in that time was £6,200.
I paid tax on my last job which finished in May so do i exclude that from the calculations as it has been paid for?

Thanks in advance for nay help or advice,

Cheers

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    It's your employer's responsibility to operate PAYE correctly, not yours. You need to contact your payroll dept and point out their error and ask them to correct it asap.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BPSGadgets wrote: »
    Hi All, I assumed they would tell the tax office my earnings between that period but they haven't so was wondering what i need to do to get everything sorted.Cheers

Employers do not tell HMRC your income every week or every month. Although they collect your tax and national insurance they do so with all their other employees and send it as a lump sum without saying how much belongs to each employee. They only give the tax office figures for you either when you leave, by way of a P45, or at the end of the tax year, by way of the employers annual return and P14/P60.

You need to check your payslip to see what tax code your employer is operating and if you are unsure if they are operating payroll correctly you should contact your tax office and ask them to help.
  • Tim_Nicholas
    Options
    I would ask them to leave it as is. You can then set yourself up as a sole trader, partnership, Ltd company etc. Pay your own tax, much more efficient way of doing it.
    Live life...
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    You cannot be self employed if you are an employee! This is not something you can just decide - if HMRC find out the employer is not operating PAYE, they will have to pay the tax and NIC back.
    If this is a disorganisaed employer, then they need to get themselves sorted out.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family