We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Insurance Cat. D

I'm thinking of replacing my 1998 Nissan Micra for a second-hand newer car. I've seen a Ford Ka 2007 for £3500 but I didn't realise that insurance category D means that the car has been repaired.
So my question is it safe to buy a cat D car from a dealer and if so what are the catches?
I've read that some insurance might not accept cars with cat D and when you sell the car later it will be a less amount than the market value.
I'm really interested but want to be SURE that I won't make a mistake.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 761
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    the car will be less than market value but you should pay less than the market value.
    my car is a cat d and i have never had a problem with insurance.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Unless its a top of the range version way too much.

    I saw plenty of 58 Plates for 5k from dealers fairly recently.
  • Mizzy87
    Mizzy87 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks all for replying back. I'll look at autotrader as someone suggested. But before I consider buying any car, which precautious steps can I take or ask the seller?
    Thanks in advance!
  • gsmmad
    gsmmad Posts: 416 Forumite
    thats toooooo much money for a cat D KA, also it doesnt matter with the insurance till you crash, they can ask for recites of repairs and stuff and cause a few problems. However they will also value the car 20% or 10% less than the market value.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.