Outbuilding dilemma

Options
The ex council house we recently bought (built 1950s)has an 'outbuilding'/ shed like structure with flat roof which has been connected to the house very roughly so that it now forms part of the house.

Our surveyor described it as of 'limited structural value'. It is of single skin construction and the foundations are shallow.It is single storey and surveyor suggested around £7500 to rebuild, but Im not sure to what standard he meant.

Basically we use for storage- it isn't heated, it has room for utility stuff, electrics, working toilet and shad area.

I wondered if anyone on here has experience of a building like this- what did you do with it? Knock it down, rebuild, turn it into an extension? Was it worth doing financially?

Grateful for your advice.

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    well thats exactly what it is. its a shed. it was never meant to be a liveable extension.
    it you want it to become so, then a rebuild is the only option.

my FIL has the same thing. 3 small rooms in fact. shed/toilet/pantry.
    connected to the house with a corrugated roof.
    ex council house too.
    Get some gorm.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless you need the extra space that a proper extension would give i'd leave things as they are.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I agree. Utility space is useful and the existing structure is adequate to provide you with that, so why bother rebuilding?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    I had a utility room and a workshop and a store in an ex LA house which was similar. Absolutely brilliant as a first house. And I knew that my next house would be non-LA and nothing like as good.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure