told job was given to someone more qualified then readvertised.

Options

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Note:
    I find it highly irritating when candidates ask for feedback as to why they were unsuccessful. Do they think there is time to waste on this?

While you're making notes, why not note that it's an INTERview - ie it's not all about you and what you want.

The candidate has taken the time to come and see you so that *you* can fill the vacancy *you* have. The least you can do is offer them a little advice next time around.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've decided not to hire perfectly qualified people on the grounds that I knew my team and knew their personality would potentially make for a volatile situation if they were thrown in the melting pot...
    I've also never given written explanations of why I've not given someone a job - at most verbal to the agency... Some people do not interview well and if that's the case I've let the agency know so that they can work with the candidate on their interview skills... Interview skills are a vital part of working these days and someone who doesn't know how to behave in an interview needs to have those skills taught. (Likewise if people have turned up in anything less than smart (I appreciate not everyone owns a suit so I would settle for shirt, tie and smart formal trousers in male applicants and tidy, smart formal in females) I have nearly always finished the interview as quickly as politely possible - if they can't even make the effort to dress up a little for an interview then they obviously don't take me or my company seriously - and thus I have no interest in hiring them)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    I once didn't hire a guy because he had a Donald Duck tie on.

Otherwise he was perfectly capable of doing the job; it's just that his tie was irrefutable proof that he was in all other respects a complete tool.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2009 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    While you're making notes, why not note that it's an INTERview - ie it's not all about you and what you want.

The candidate has taken the time to come and see you so that *you* can fill the vacancy *you* have. The least you can do is offer them a little advice next time around.

Sorry but you are wrong.
    Whilst i am interviewing i take notes, of course i do.
    They are for ME to reference back to whilst i am making the decision.

I may write things down such as:
    - Poor listener
    - Poorly presented
    - Not as qualified as led to believe

If i do, i am under NO OBLIGATION to divulge this information with anyone else.
    Why can you not understand that?

I agree it would be good for employers to give feedback. If i think the candidate deserves this i will. Otherwise i won't.
    bendix wrote: »
    I once didn't hire a guy because he had a Donald Duck tie on.

Otherwise he was perfectly capable of doing the job; it's just that his tie was irrefutable proof that he was in all other respects a complete tool.
    Haha....thanks for that :D
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2009 at 1:59PM
    Options
    An interview candidate can take a potential employer to an ET if they feel they haven't got a job because of discrimination. (Pre-employment discrimination has existed for a long time under Employment law longer than post-employment discrimination.)

However the onus is on the interview candidate to prove it.

However as most employers aren't stupid enough to give an interview candidate they turned down the real reasons, particularly if it's discriminatory, why they haven't got a job then it's foolish for the candidate to even try.

In this case OP move on you are wasting your time trying to find out why if the company can't be bothered to give you realistic feedback.

There are also people barred from submitting employment tribunal claims because they have tried this continually.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Idiophreak
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Sorry but you are wrong.
    Whilst i am interviewing i tak enotes, of course i do.
    They are for ME to reference back to whilst i am making the decision.

I may write things down such as:
    - Poor listener
    - Poorly presented
    - Not as qualified as led to believe

If i do, i am under NO OBLIGATION to divulge this information with anyone else.
    Why can you not understnad that?

Do you only ever do what you're obliged to?

I think it's good business etiquette for an interviewer to offer the candidate feedback as a matter of course. A good interviewer will take notes for this purpose, as well as for their own reference. You obviously don't, which is fine. I'm not sufficiently dimwitted to assume you're wrong because your opinion differs from my own.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Do you only ever do what you're obliged to?

I think it's good business etiquette for an interviewer to offer the candidate feedback as a matter of course. A good interviewer will take notes for this purpose, as well as for their own reference. You obviously don't, which is fine. I'm not sufficiently dimwitted to assume you're wrong because your opinion differs from my own.

A good interviewer knows within 30 seconds if the candidate is worth taking seriously or not.

What was I supposed to feedback to my Donald Duck tie-wearing candidate? Should I have given him a gift voucher to Tie Rack?

Frankly, if a candidate doesn't have the nouse to realise some basic sartorial rules of corporate life, there's no helping them.

I'm sure he'd prosper in the public sector though :rolleyes:
  • speedbird1973
    Options
    olly300 wrote: »
    An interview candidate can take a potential employer to an ET if they feel they haven't got a job because of discrimination. (Pre-employment discrimination has existed for a long time under Employment law longer than post-employment discrimination.)

However the onus is on the interview candidate to prove it.

How can you take someone to an employment tribunral if you're NOT EMPLOYED BY THEM????????????????????????????????????????????????

Idiophreak - lots of companies don't give feedback - it's their choice and their right not to do so. I do, others in my company don't. No wrong answer here!
  • Idiophreak
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do, others in my company don't. No wrong answer here!

Quite. Still don't think it's unreasonable for someone to ask for feedback if they don't get the gig, though.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How can you take someone to an employment tribunral if you're NOT EMPLOYED BY THEM????????????????????????????????????????????????
    As an employer you are not allowed to discriminate against people before you employ them even if you never actually do, while you employ them and after they have ceased working for you.

You can read the entire original race discrimination act here - http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?ActiveTextDocId=2059995 look for "Discrimination by employers" , and can google for all the amendments and other acts.

In the first case you are not allowed to discriminate in recruiting and selecting people. However as I stated already the onus is on the candidate to prove that they were discriminated against which is not exactly an easy thing to do.

In the last incidence there are examples where an employee has won an ET for discrimination, or even just put in a grievance stating some form of discrimination then left that company's employment. The company then gives that employee a slanderous or libellous reference, which they are able to obtain from the potential new employer under the Data Protection Act who refuses to employ them due to the reference. In this case while the onus is on the ex-employee to prove they were discriminated against it's not as hard as now there is normally written evidence.

I personally know of a case where this happened. The reference was given over the phone, and the large company making the slanderous reference wrote detailed notes there as the large company who was getting the reference notes where less detailed but clearly showed the same thing. (I was personally shocked that people are so stupid.)

Writing "confidential" on written references doesn't mean someone will never see that reference as you can use the Data Protection Act to obtain them.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure